• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beard P100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ladies and gents,

I own a Beard P100 but it blew a capacitor the other day,

1. Should a replace the component or as it is a old bird replace the whole thing? Ideally me the component as a new machine is £££?

2. Where would a get a new capacitor from (400 micro Farads)? Does anyone have one knocking around?

3. Do Beard still exist? I emailed them but it mentioned that the owner has gone into retirement?

I have never been here before and admitally don't know much about value amps apart from that the sound quality is amazing!!!

Yours hopefully

Tommy

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

R 400 micro Farads 350VDC

You'll need a 400µF/350VDC radial cap preferably of the same diameter as the old one.

While you're at it, it looks as if pretty soon all the other electrolytic caps will be due for replacement too.
So you better check the other caps and jot down their specs.
A suitable source for replaments might be RS Components, Cricklewood Electronics, Maplin, etc.

Cheers, ;)

Tom Smithson said:
R 400 micro Farads 350VDC
Plain NEG
Y 400 micro Farads 350VDC
What you have is a two section cap. Each section 400µF 350V. The sections are marked with a red and yellow dot, right?

I don't think you can get a replacement for that one. But buy two 470µF 400V caps, which are easy to get. You may be able to fit the two new caps in the same space.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Steps to a happy B.B.

1. Buy 2 400uF 350v caps, one to be radial if possible, the other axial.
2. Hollow out the original cap, to leave an empty case.
3. Fit the new radial cap inside and re-fit. It should fit if tou buy a new cap as they get smaller every year ;)
4. Fit the new axial cap inder the chassis possibly using the negative tag if the radial cap as one anchor point. Use an insulated wire to connect the positive.

Re: Steps to a happy B.B.

Konnichiwa,

dhaen said:
1. Buy 2 400uF 350v caps, one to be radial if possible, the other axial.
2. Hollow out the original cap, to leave an empty case.
3. Fit the new radial cap inside and re-fit. It should fit if tou buy a new cap as they get smaller every year ;)

With a little luck you can use multiple smaller cap's to fill the entire space, eg. 4pcs 220uF/350V may be able to fit into the old case and be then paralleled up to give 2 X 440uF....

Sayonara

URL for Beard

Tom --

As mentioned by Frank de Grove, Bill Beard passed on the rights etc for all his equipment to CF Media when he retired in 2002.

They have a Beard-specific website at www.beardaudio.com, and through that one can send an email to them re servicing and parts. They are about to 'monoblock' my P100s & seem decent folk (with fair prices), but I cannot yet attest to their work. But I'm confident enough to let them at my cherished amplifiers....

Incidentally, they are based in Chelsea if you need to lug your wee beastie to their door.

Regards & good luck,

Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.