• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Counterpoint SA-7 Schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Their products seemed to me well built, with decent execution etc.

Oh yes, those were fine products indeed.
My first commercial preamp was a SA-5. Michael Elliot was one of the first to use automatic bias in preamps, gridleak bias on the less expensive models as well.

If ever any of you come across a dirt cheap second hand SA-11 preamp, give me a ring.... :angel:
My own top of the line preamp was inspired by that model but I didn't quite dare to push it that far though.

Cheers, ;)

a bit steep

A bit of an understatement. I wonder why this site is so popular - the upgrades and all services seem to offer dismal value for money.

Send me a PM for the SA7 circuit. I once used to have it and still keep a reasonably detailed circuit (took me no more than an hour of staring at the board to draw it). No PSU as it looked like a textbook emitter follower.

Don't like the price?

Quote:
At $75+shipping, the manuals are a bit steep. BTW anyone got a schematic for the SA-3000 TIA.
Quote:
A bit of an understatement. I wonder why this site is so popular - the upgrades and all services seem to offer dismal value for money.

Gentlemen.... The price may seem a little high but when you stop to consider the time and energy involved in designing/building the units its a bargan in my humble opinion. You could always get out Mr. Longhand and draw the darn thing yourself.:D

Joe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Flawed circuits

Hi all,
At the risk of starting a fire storm, I'll make a comment here.
I was authorized warranty for Counterpoint right to the end. There are many basic circuit flaws in his designs, power supplies seem to be the worst. The SA-9 is just waiting to blow.
His equipment did sound very good preamp wise. There were some really good concepts in design.
Having said that, if you pay attention to decent parts, upgrade the wattage on the plate resistors if they are discolouring you will be fine. Get some decent tubes in and listen to it before going further.
I am in the process of redesigning the SA-100, and have one sounding great. This is still evolving. You should have seen the serious design errors in that thing.
As far as the charge for schematics / manuals go. They are grossly over priced. They have always been way over the top for pricing. Oh yeah, he really did match the output fets incredibly tightly. He had no choice with no source resistors!
analog_sa, that's one I don't have. I agree totally with you on "the upgrades and all services seem to offer dismal value for money." comment.
-Chris

Back when I was in retail we had Counterpoint for a period. Pathetic gear. Setting aside sound quality, there's no denying that the stuff was junk, design-wise.
We had an SA-3 (single spaced rack mount preamp, yes? I think I've got the model right). A resistor got so hot that it burned the paint right off the lid of the chassis. (From memory, I think it was a 5W resistor running at around 4.8 or 4.9W Pd.) Called Counterpoint to express concern. The guy insisted vehemently that the part was within spec and that it was normal for it to run "warm." When we noted that burning the paint off the top was more than warm, the guy got really, really angry and started yelling. Hung up on us.
Needless to say, we dropped the brand like a hot potato.
I was sooo not surprised when they folded.

Grey

There were at least 2 versions of the SA7. I think the earlier type had a very shallow chassis with the tubes all on a pcb mounted behind the front panel while the later type used a bigger chassis with the line stage mounted across the back panel and the phono stage along the LH side.

They were quite well made and sound ok but I have to agree with the comments on Altavista pricing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Grey,
When we noted that burning the paint off the top was more than warm, the guy got really, really angry and started yelling. Hung up on us.
:clown:
That had to be Michael! :D His idea of parts running within spec was such a joke! As you noted, he hasn't a clue what derating is. Mind you, I understand someone else did the very earliest designs. This does sound like M.E., he hasn't changed much. BTW, he designs by ear. He even admitted that.

Hi stoolpigeon,
There were at least 2 versions of the SA7.
They were both the same physically. He changed tubes and added an auto mute. The earlier one was completely manual I believe. Could be wrong here, but that is what I recall.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi stoolpigeon,
He used a BUF03 in many of his SA-2000 and higher preamps. He also used it for the output buffer of his phono section.

Great idea, poorly executed. Now he pulls them (and keeps them) to remove the solid state sound. I bet he has some BUF03 line stages now.

-Chris

Just for giggles, I hit the Alta Vista link above. He wants to charge you $100 to make sure your Counterpoint doesn't run hot.
Gee...I can't imagine why anything made by Counterpoint would run hot.
Most of the Counterpoint gear looked nice, I'll say that for it, but if someone were to walk up and give me a piece of their gear today, the first thing I'd do would be to gut it and build something else into the chassis. It's a shame, really, as there aren't that many brands I'd treat that way.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.