diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Night dreaming? / Middle of the night bloom (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/38363-night-dreaming-middle-night-bloom.html)

Gabevee 6th May 2003 04:40 PM

Middle of the night bloom

Any thoughts, theories, opinions?

For those who don't know what I mean, it is a phenomenon that occurs when listening to our systems at night, from about 11:00 PM to 5:00 or 6:00 AM, where everything seems to sound much better and wider and deeper, etc.

Gabe

Michael Rothacher 6th May 2003 05:26 PM

I've always felt it was primarily the result of these effects:

1. Far less power line noise at these hours
2. Far less ambient noise at these hours.
3. Our auditory acuity peaks at night, and arguably more so in the critical midrange.

Mike

Da5id4Vz 6th May 2003 05:35 PM

Its probably worth considering the effects of cooler and denser air.

Physiologically, the effect of the mornings caffeine may also be at a minimum.

Michael Rothacher 6th May 2003 06:38 PM

Ah yes. The "Starbuck's Effect."

How about the effect of the Moon's gravity on speaker cones?

Sch3mat1c 6th May 2003 09:39 PM

Man, I notice this too. It's weird isn't it?
Like...I'm listening right now and it doesn't sound all that great. But last night it sounded good, wtf?...

Maybe it could be the sleepiness acting like alcohol...people always say it comes alive with a shot or two of Bourbon or what-have-you :)

Tim

Equilibrium 6th May 2003 09:51 PM

THE MAGIC HOUR by Steve Deckert

An examination of the mystery of the middle of the night bloom!

Da5id4Vz 6th May 2003 10:26 PM

Steve Deckert's article is interesting, but I have to wonder about the microphonics caused by the tube amp on top of the subwoofer.

I am also starting to wonder about the length of widow for the sweat spot for the effect.

I donít know about the rest of you, but after about 3 hours of serious listening, regardless of the quality of the source material.
my hearings pretty shot.

Gabevee 6th May 2003 10:31 PM

Yes, I also read Steve's article a few years back (if you notice, he posted my reply to him about it ;) ).

I just wanted to see what the opinions were here about it.

Gabe

fdegrove 6th May 2003 11:28 PM

THEM WEE HOURS...

Hi,

It will be a different experience depending on where you live but...yes, AC quality is a major factor.

I feel tubes are less prone to this kind of disturbance thanks to choke filtered supplies and...bear with me...stiff PSU designs with very high PSRR.

If you want look at the PSU I designed for a preamp, it provides very high isolation from the mains and sounds all the better for it.
Mind you, that was not the only target.

When I see the often poor, meagre PSU offered by some members here I often think: they'll never hear their circuits' potential at its best and they have no clue about PSU isolation from the mains...

On some occasions batteries are close to the ideal but a well designed PSU should come close.

Nonetheless, I still enjoy better sound way passed midnight...nothing's ever perfect?

Cheers,;)

Sch3mat1c 7th May 2003 12:28 AM

'Nother one of those ironies...people push tube rect's yet say PSUs need good regulation... oh well :rolleyes:

Tim