Night dreaming? / Middle of the night bloom - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2004, 08:34 PM   #51
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I have merged these 2 similar threads.
They seem to deal with the same perceptions. Hope it's useful.
Old 24th July 2004, 09:25 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sharp senses... not really alcohol...try another
I would if it were not for that uniformed guy above
Old 24th July 2004, 09:55 PM   #53
alk is offline alk  Europe
diyAudio Member

LOL

they're everywhere
Old 25th July 2004, 01:41 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default Mains noise

What are the sources of mains noise? Doesn't every electrical component drawing electricity from the mains contribute some form of noise---and not only every component drawing electricity in my house/apartment, but every component drawing electricity from the sub-transformer feeding my house/apartment and all my neighbours' houses/apartments? And why stop at the subtransformer?
Old 25th July 2004, 04:36 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Firstly everything contributes noise to your power distribution.
Even the actual wiring of your house /and/ the miles and miles of interconnected super-powered Antenna system which we call a "Power grid".
From a simple resistive load like a street light to your Computer or Fridge or Hot-water system...

I personally have been listening to audio for the past 3 years after 12 AM and apart from the very large drop off in ambient noise I think tiredness plays an extremely important part in making things sound 'better', I believe when you are tired you become emotionally enravelled in the music and because you /know/ everyone else is asleep you can feel completely alone with the music!!

I've been doing this for 3 years and just recently I've managed to schedule my sleeping pattern so I go to sleep at 6PM so I can wake up at 1AM in the morning, however, now that I get a full nights sleep something strange happens, I am no longer tired therefore I am no longer interested in the music!

Conclusion:
The music maybe the most perfect representation of the original performance in the world but it is all based upon EMOTIONS.

Yes I believe also that Line noise plays a good deal in sound quality, thats why I have re-designed my KT88 amp's PSU with E core trafos and heavy capacitance through the usual choke arrangement.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit that DC Battery-fed Filaments are much more stable than AC line fed filaments simply because of unregulation of the AC mains, however, I believe the 50hz 'radio-wave' operation of a filament plays a very large part in keeping it at optimatum.

Has anyone done reports on filament operation at AC and DC and does it affect way the tube works? Is there more saturation?

Would it be beneficial to run the entire amplifier and source devices off remote-controlled Generator power? Generators are becoming incredibly cheap nowdays, so why not?, As long as acoustical isolation is taken care of...?

Hide this!Advertise here!