• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

On Line Tube Learning for newbies....

• Module 1 - Matter, Energy, and Direct Current (Jun 2011)
  • Module 2 - Alternating Current and Transformers (Mar 2012)
  • Module 3 - Circuit Protection, Control, and Measurement (Feb 2013)
  • Module 4 - Electrical Conductors, Wiring Techniques, and Schematic Reading (May 2013)
  • Module 5 - Generators and Motors (Sep 2011)
  • Module 6 - Electronic Emission, Tubes, and Power Supplies (Mar 2012)
  • Module 7 - Solid-State Devices and Power Supplies (Aug 2012)
  • Module 8 - Amplifiers (Feb 2013)
  • Module 9 - Wave-Generation and Wave-Shaping Circuits (Jul 2012)
  • Module 10 - Wave Propagation, Transmission Lines, and Antennas (Jul 2012)
  • Module 11 - Microwave Principles (Feb 2012)
  • Module 12 - Modulation (Jan 2012)
  • Module 13 - Number Systems and Logic Circuits (Jan 2012)
  • Module 14 - Inroduction to Microelectronics (Sep 2003)
  • Module 15 - Principles of Synchros, Servos, and Gyros (Dec 2012)
  • Module 16 - Test Equipment (Apr 2013)
  • Module 17 - Radio-Frequency Communications Principles (Apr 2013)
  • Module 18 - Radar Principles (Apr 2013)
  • Module 19 - The Technician's Handbook (Jan 2004)
  • Module 20 - Master Glossary (Jan 2004)
  • Module 21 - Test Methods and Practices (May 2013)
  • Module 22 - Digital Computing (May 2013)
  • Module 23 - Magnetic Recording (May 2013)
  • Module 24 - Fiber Optics (Jun 2014)

http://www.compatt.com/Tutorials/NEETS/NEETS.html
Thanks Ken.
Much appreciated!

At this point, I believe it is important to remember that the previous info provides just the basics of design engineering.
Even when earning a degree, one has only the elementary tools, such as equations, understanding tube/ss parameters,
etc. These tools are necessary, along with physics etc for further research and development.

cheers

pos

At this point, I believe it is important to remember that the previous info provides just the basics of design engineering.
Even when earning a degree, one has only the elementary tools, such as equations, understanding tube/ss parameters,
etc. These tools are necessary, along with physics etc for further research and development.

cheers

pos

How true is this! One also has to try to solve basic problems supplied in a book about vacuum tube theory to get some feeling
how to calculate basic tube circuits. Like this one:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/on-line-tube-learning-for-newbies.38278/page-12
Just a humble contribution.

How true is this! One also has to try to solve basic problems supplied in a book about vacuum tube theory to get some feeling
how to calculate basic tube circuits. Like this one:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/on-line-tube-learning-for-newbies.38278/page-12
Just a humble contribution.

Yes, that is part of basic learning one learns in college classrooms. I could have explained more in my previous post.

An example of something learned after college.

I don't know if this has been mentioned earlier, but when two components in a system have pin 1 connected to the wall socket, there
is a connection between the signal ground to both components. As such, musical information/signal current not only returns via both
left and right interconnect shields, but also through the pin 1 wires from component to component. This tends to mix the channels
together. There is all sorts of negative ramifications.

I have to admit that Jneutron first brought this forth about a decade ago. So simple yet profound and never mentioned.

cheers

pos

Very good point about grounding. Although I have specific DC returns and don't use ground return it's still a good illustration of how loops through ground (and ground lifting) can kill you.

Well, I am not really discussing grounding per se. (For public's convenience I will try to be as simple as possible.)
I am discussing two components, each with its own internal power supply, Not one component with two separate chassis.

Attached is a simple schematic for the public's convenience.

I am Not discussing grounding. I am discussing a third musical signal current path from one component directly to
another via the pin 1 AC power wires of each component. The other two signal paths are through the
ic shields.

The AC outlet itself is only mentioned/shown because the two pin 1 wires present physical connections with
resistance present at the plug outlet junction.

(Notice I left out any reference to ground itself as it does not enter the picture concerning the musical signal path.)

Notice the two RCA Jacks labeled on each component. There are 2 ics connected between the jacks, each ic with an
inner conductor and a shield conductor.

The shield conductor of each ic is connected to the red signal common ground, (It does not make any difference
which red is labeled L and R signal ground.)

Now notice the two blue pin 1 ground wires connecting the AC outlet to the red signal common ground wires in
each component. Besides the two shields of the ics, the pin 1 wires also carry musical signal current from component
to component.

So what is the ratio of return signal current through the two shields and pin 1 wires?

The ratio of return musical signal current through the three paths is determined by the dc resistance, inductance
of the two shields and pin 1 wires, the frequencies involved, the connection resistances, width of component internal
foils/wires, solder resistance etc So it is not simply parallel and equal.

So what is the result. The result is that the actual stereo frequency response, the spacial information, and other
characteristics of the reproduction is affected by the above characteristics mentioned in the previous paragraph.
Stereo separation is affected.

If it is possible, attempt to create as much channel separation as possible.

cheers

pos

Attachments

• PIN1.jpg
    PIN1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 126
Cable lacing looks so much nicer than cable zip ties. I've used it I'm a couple of amps I've built.
The roll of stuff I got was from the British post office, likely used in telephone exchanges.
The roll of stuff I've got is waxed cotton.
There is a reason NASA still do it this way on the Mars rovers.

One has to be very careful with lacing or using zip ties as each wire in the bundle will "pickup" data/musical
information from adjacent wires. This will depend upon the impedance and distance involved, I have measured
distances of 1/2 inch between wires "picking up" a signal around -50db down from the source wire, with frequencies
as low as a couple of khz. This means the frequencies go much lower at -70 db etc.

Imagine what happens with a bundle of wires tightly knit.

cheers

pos

I am not sure what you mean, but generally, stray signal pick up and noise are of lower amplitude as the impedances (Z)
of all stages are lowered.

With that said, if one is contemplating an additional stage to lower the output impedance of, say, a preamplifier, one has
to consider the possible benefits vs musical degradation caused by the additional added stage. Is it really necessary to lower
the output Z for the particular application/system.

It can get messy.

cheers

pos

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user