EL34 Vs. EL84....... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2004, 07:00 PM   #1
honsten is offline honsten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default EL34 Vs. EL84.......

hey everyone.

i own a marshall jcm 2000 combo which is 40 watts and is powered by a quad of EL84 tubes. most "rock" amplifiers run on EL34s and i havnt a clue about the benefits of either tube. could someone please tell me the ups and downs about both and also how long its safe to leave a tube amp switched on for....

cheers
Old 23rd July 2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
Basically, all they have common is the 'E' and the 'L'

aka theyre both 6.3v pentodes. otherwise.. entire different (sees london) football game

for the record.. crvena zvezda owns

anyway, to convert your el84 amp to el34's, you'd need at least a new output transformer, if you want to run two. if you want to run four, you'd need a new power transformer and output transformer.. or approx. 100 err wait. thats about $250 cdn.. make that.. 50-60 ;-)

basically - the benefits of EL34 - more power per tube, and (if you feel you'd like to believe it) different sonics.

about how long its safe to leave a tube amp on for - if it is designed right, eternally.. keep in mind the tubes will die prematurely (most power tubes are rated 500 - 1000 - 3000 - 5000 hours, so i wouldnt worry about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!