• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 Vs. EL84.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey everyone.

i own a marshall jcm 2000 combo which is 40 watts and is powered by a quad of EL84 tubes. most "rock" amplifiers run on EL34s and i havnt a clue about the benefits of either tube. could someone please tell me the ups and downs about both and also how long its safe to leave a tube amp switched on for....

cheers

Basically, all they have common is the 'E' and the 'L'

aka theyre both 6.3v pentodes. otherwise.. entire different (sees london) football game :)

for the record.. crvena zvezda owns ;)

anyway, to convert your el84 amp to el34's, you'd need at least a new output transformer, if you want to run two. if you want to run four, you'd need a new power transformer and output transformer.. or approx. £100 err wait. thats about $250 cdn.. make that.. £50-60 ;-)

basically - the benefits of EL34 - more power per tube, and (if you feel you'd like to believe it) different sonics.

about how long its safe to leave a tube amp on for - if it is designed right, eternally.. keep in mind the tubes will die prematurely (most power tubes are rated 500 - 1000 - 3000 - 5000 hours, so i wouldnt worry about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.