• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

wondering about direction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all...I have been reading through the different forums and everyone seems pretty cool, helpful and very enthusiastic. I just have a question on how to start into this hobby.
Currently, my setup is:
Rotel Pre
Rotel CDP
Bryston 3bST
B&W CM4 speakers
older Sony turntablewith MM cartridge.
What I am wondering is that i'd like to try out tubes, and would also like to try out the DIY way and learn something along they way!
So...i have a fairly limited budget i suppose, and am wondering which direction would be good to go in...a tube-based preamp? if so, should it be passive? RIAA? and should I look at a kit such as the Foreplay or Basie? Will a pre get me started on the 'tube' sound, or should i try to do an Amplifier instead (the high voltages and expense may limit me here)
Thanks for your opinions and/or help!
Byron

Hi mantisory, welcome aboard!!

IMO building a simple tube pre-amp would be a great start, your Bryston power amp is a great sounding solid state amp and would sound even smoother when paired up with dhs's basie pre. It’s a simple pre amp to get your head around and can be tweeked to your liking.
If you lack a little confidence with electronics, kits are a good direction to go in (most kits are good value to). Then once you feel up to the task have a go at building your own tube power amp from scratch.
Once you get hooked on tubes there’s no going back to solid state, I know I couldnt!!:D

p.s, a passive preamp would contain no active components such as tubes, these preamps are commonly just simple resistive volume attenuators.

Hesky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.