Tube Amp on eBay - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2004, 09:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Amp on eBay

Does this amp look like a good buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5709783228

The finishing looks very nice.
Old 14th July 2004, 09:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The finish is indeed nice, but be careful about these units! Make sure the company has a reputation. The thing is, with some of these Chinese amps, their appearance is much better than their sound. Too often have they used cheap, underrated components that blew after only a few weeks of use. I'm not saying that ALL Chinese amps are bad, but I would still recomment to sticking to a respected manufacturer like JoLida. They have some nice KT-88/6550 based amps, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 14th July 2004, 10:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have experience of a number of Mei Xing amplifiers and have found the sound, build quality and reliability to be excellent. There are perhaps some concerns regarding the longevity of some Chinese tubes but this is not a major concern.
Old 14th July 2004, 10:30 PM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I see he's sold a few recently, and got good feedback.
You might try contacting a couple of his buyers (through eBay) and see if they are still happy.
Old 14th July 2004, 10:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What I find odd about this guy is that if you look through his recent auctions some say he is located in Richmond BC and some say he is located in Nashville TN. That should raise a red flag...
Old 14th July 2004, 11:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Very pretty amp, but do you really want to buy an "off the shelf model"? Few things can beat the satisfaction of being the proud parent of something you built yourself.

Advantages:

You know the amp inside out, know how it all works and how to fix it if something goes wrong.

If you get bored with the sound then improving it is easy.

It's seriously good fun!!

Disadvantages:

Addiction / obsession - you start talking in tube numbers and your friends can't understand what you are on about. One amp is never enough!

Other related purchases such as horn loudspeakers, vinyl records and strange things on ebay which might come in useful some day.

Good luck whatever you decide

Old 15th July 2004, 05:49 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

IIRC Tim Forman bought an EL34 amp from this company (but direct from China) ....

dave
Old 15th July 2004, 01:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
IIRC Tim Forman bought an EL34 amp from this company (but direct from China) ....

dave
Nothin' wrong with your memory Dave. I bought the MingDa (Meixing) MC-34A which is an integrated EL-34 push pull, about 35W/ch. I purchased direct from HK. $410 for the amp, $20 for using PayPal and $150 shipping. It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive but when it did it was packaged extremely well, the unit was in perfect condition, even the bias was set. It is a wonderful performer. You may also want to look at http://www.cattylink.com for other Meixing/MingDa products.
Many of these products are the exact models being imported and modified, then resold for much higher prices. Upgraded caps, little pieces of wood trim, etc.. Granted, there is nobody to call if your amp breaks. You need to decide if the lack of convenience is worth $400. My plan is to make my own mods at some point anyway.
Old 15th July 2004, 01:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter

Nothin' wrong with your memory Dave. I bought the MingDa (Meixing) MC-34A which is an integrated EL-34 push pull, about 35W/ch. I purchased direct from HK. $410 for the amp, $20 for using PayPal and $150 shipping. It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive but when it did it was packaged extremely well, the unit was in perfect condition, even the bias was set. It is a wonderful performer. You may also want to look at http://www.cattylink.com for other Meixing/MingDa products.
Many of these products are the exact models being imported and modified, then resold for much higher prices. Upgraded caps, little pieces of wood trim, etc.. Granted, there is nobody to call if your amp breaks. You need to decide if the lack of convenience is worth $400. My plan is to make my own mods at some point anyway.
All the Meixing products look very sharp. The prices seem very reasonable too. I saw a similar KT88 tube amp at a local shop for about $3000CDN, so the one on eBay for <$1000US looked like a good buy.

Thanks for the insight and catty link.

Cheers,
GM.
Old 2nd August 2004, 10:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Relevant update

40 days after receiving my amp I walked up to it, flipped the power switch and......nothing. No power. Not wanting to rip into a new amp I notified the seller and described the problem in detail. The response I got back was "did you check the fuse". The actual problem was a separation in the high voltage land path of the power supply PCB. Once again I contacted the seller and indicated this appears to be a manufacturing defect and if they would be willing to cover the repair cost. No reply so far.

Hide this!Advertise here!