• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5687 pre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!

I am seeking for a tube preamplifier for my output amplifier (Onix OA601). I have made something like 20 versions of a line stage using 5687. Configuration using srpp in first stage and white cathode follower in second stage was o.k., config. using anode follower in first stage and cathode follower in second stage directly coupled was o.k. but the best config. seems to be the simplest one stage anode follower. First two configurations didn't gave me any problems with hum but the last one is driving me nuts. I have tired everything I found on net about removing 50Hz hum and nothing helped. The last schematic is attached. As You can see the schematic was found somewhere in the net and it is not new. I have used one tube (half of it to be precise) for one ch. and one tube for the other.
I have tried two triodes in paralel, tried to filter the heating for tubes ( on tubes pins directly- that helped a lot), and nothing helped to completely remove the hum- now I have still some hum so I can listen to my preamp but it is humming to much to let it that way. My grounding is stargrounded at the input chinch ground. Need help......
regards
daniel

Attachments

• 5687.jpg
    5687.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 735
1)Have you tried multiple star grounds?

i.e. power supply grounds at one point, cathode resistor grounds at another, signal grounds at another - then bring the grounds together at one point. Works for me.

2) Also are your filements grounded at one end? I would try floating them at 40V or so, might quiet them down.

Easy way is to calculate a 2 resistor voltage divider off the B+, put a cap across the second resistor to ground, and connect one end of the filaments to the junction of the resistors at +40V or so. Make sure there is no ground connection or they will glow very brightly!

3) What is your power supply? Does it have decent filtering?

Hi!

The heaters were previously at 60Vdc because of my previous experiments. Now they are grounded at the last filter cap. Also tried grounding it at the transformer secondary (I have two 7Vac secondaries- grounded it in the middle).

Didn't try multiple star ground- will try it later today.

I have thought about my HT- I have EZ12, 16uF first cap, huge inductor (don't ask me for the value I didn't measure), 47uF, and RC-RC and bleeder in paralel with the last C. R=250R, C=100uF. Maybe this is not enough. Will try today to put 330uF as the last cap.

regards
daniel

p.s. This is only a prototype- I'm trying to make something really good with 5687 and the best way is to experiment with different topologies. The best that I have found is the topology above- and it is simple to.

analog_sa ; How big is the choke in Your setup?

Hi!

Mr. "Huge" is in this case 4000 turns with 0,3mm diameter wire (please look at the pictures- it is double C iron - the smallest of all irons - hugh?!- how can it be the smallest one :D) - I know that huge doesn't meen anything but a little bit bigger inductor (that I have measured) turned to be 120H iron with 7mA. That was the highest current I could get when I measured it.
So I didn't measure this one- I think that it might be from 20H to 50H. So I supose it is big enough for this application....:cannotbe:

thanks for the advice - will try it later today. Although I think that with 40mA total current draw (in my previous applications) I have had the same amount of hum as in this application (somewhere around 30mA total current)- so I think it won't help but I must try everything...:bawling: since I don't know any more what to do..... :bawling:

Class A SE topology

Class A SE topology is not forgiving of power supply hum and noise.
To determine if that is the case measure the AC voltage on your DC plate supply, using a scope or multimeter set to AC volts,if it exceeds what you can tolerate try the following:
Place an inductor on the output of the PS and follow it with the largest cap you have availible for that voltage level.
Conect the plate resistor to the cap.
If an inductor is not availible you can substitue a resistor start with a 100 ohm 10W.

G

Joined 2002
I may be wrong but I would try true point to point wiring instead of the PCB combo you are using. Granted, I have never attempted ( yet ) a preamp but I have always had good luck with a common ground buss. I use 17 gauge silver wire for the buss and I raise the heaters above ground ( as previously suggested ) by about 35 volts or so. I really like the layout that was used on the Decware Zen amp and have adapted it for the two amps I have built. I have heard of one other person having problems with humming in a 5687 preamp though. Look here: http://www.netaxs.com/~vkalia/5687.html and you may find some valuable info. I would not, however, recommend that you use the sloppy wiring technique that he used:( .

Guys thanks- problem solved.....
I must say that this tube is so sensitive.... Problem was laying in to small cap's in my HT power supply (I have only one inductor- for this tube this is "only")- 600uF is now playing in my HT power supply. Also I have grouped the grounds as suggested before- but a little bit different connection than suggested. That took the problem for good. O.k. - thanks for Your help - now I have to do the line as I have intended to- double the triodes and let them play in 6.5mA/triode.
Will post the schematic later when I would be satisfied with the sound .....
thanks again
daniel

To Mr. G - this project is only a prototype- I would make it properly when I am satisified with the sound/design....;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.