Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2004, 02:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Akihabara shopping

I've managed to set aside a day while in Tokyo to look for valve related parts. Any tips from those who have had this shopping experience?

My main focus will be Japanese manufactured transformers.
Old 13th July 2004, 03:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you won't be disappointed!!!!!!
Old 13th July 2004, 04:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I would recommend Noguchi Transformer that is located in the bottom floor of Tokyo Radio Dept store, "Tokyo Radio Depato" in Japanese, it is quite close to the railway station just across the main street. They stock ISO Tango, Tamura and some other together with their own brand, Japanese transformers are not cheap but the prices at Noguchi give at least better prices than on mail order. Noguchi has a web site but it is only in Japanese, http://www.noguchi-trans.co.jp/
Tokyo Radio Depato is on the right hand side in block 13 of this map http://www.akiba.or.jp/map/

In the same building are some of the best vendors for passive components and tubes, note non-Japanese tubes are not very cheap in Japan and some US tubes are ridicously expensive.

Regards Hans
Old 13th July 2004, 04:53 AM   #4
arnoldc is offline arnoldc  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arnoldc
no experience in shopping there, but i've experience with Tamura transformers and i believe the F-475 is value for money for 45 and 300B (with proper operating point) as i own one and a couple of friends too. fortunately we have a tamura distributor here in the philippines for a very reasonable price.

some other audio related things you might pick up are denon cartridges and fostex drivers.

i have to agree that tubes are really expensive there as a friend of mine addicted to 45 tubes bought about a dozen pairs and we got some too in the u.s. for a much cheaper cost. now this person i'm talking about is addicted to 50 tubes and has about two dozen pairs now.
Old 13th July 2004, 05:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can agree about Denon and Fostex, there are several vendors that sell both so it pays to shop around, I have one DL103 and one DL110 that I bought quite cheap, Fostex is less interesting for me as I prefer Lowther but there are several shops that sell these drivers and horn enclosure kits as well, 2 of these shops are in block 6 in the map I posted before.

Regards Hans
Old 13th July 2004, 05:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Akihabara has the TRD and a few high-end stores. The TRD, upper level has a store that sells gold-plated connectors for about $2 each.

The real place to go is Tokyu Hands (department store 's crafts bldg) in Shinjuku - north of the station (look at a map). There are 7 floors with split levels. One of them is heaven. Tube kits using every known brand of tubes 300b, 6L6s, etc. There's also a tube CD player, speaker enclosures, speakers, and cartridges (not a big selection). From what I recall the kits start about $200. There are also parts. Small but lots of stuff.

One very kool kit is a LP kit that cuts a record using CDs.
Old 13th July 2004, 07:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

yeah! you can pick up a sun audio kit for a great price! and these kits already use all tamura transformers and chokes for a cheaper price compared to the american counterparts.

probably a yamamoto amp too?
Old 13th July 2004, 07:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys...

I'm more into building my own stuff than kits. I've also got several hundred valves waiting to be turned into amps.

I'm most interested in trans, caps and resistors.

Keep the tips coming.
Old 13th July 2004, 07:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

how about audio note coupling caps? audio professor electrolytic capacitors? use use both on my 45 amp.
Old 13th July 2004, 05:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Was in japan 4yrs ago, There we're alot of electronics shops in akihabara, but too bad I was not into Vacuum tubes before so I passed on the opportunity of really looking for tube stuff back then.

If I ever had a chance to go back there I'll know where to go.

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!