• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

power supply help!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok guys and gals help me out here..

what I am looking to do is a power supply for my EL84 pre-amp.

I will use plate loading chokes as loads (100H) but unsure still on operating current and power supply voltage.

Thing is this: I want to use tubes that are available today for the power supply. Can I do a shunt regulation with tubes in current production??

How about series regulation?

Or.... should I forget all that and just do a LCLC power supply with the final seperate LC sections going to each channel??

Or... SS power supply?

Finally, and hints on a good operating point for the EL84 triode mode??

Thanks!!! :)

Richard

G

Joined 2002
I will use plate loading chokes as loads (100H) but unsure still on operating current and power supply voltage.

You need to look at a data sheet and decide.

Thing is this: I want to use tubes that are available today for the power supply. Can I do a shunt regulation with tubes in current production??

Yes.

How about series regulation?

If you prefer.

Or.... should I forget all that and just do a LCLC power supply with the final seperate LC sections going to each channel??

That is what I would do.

Or... SS power supply?

That is not what I would do.

Finally, and hints on a good operating point for the EL84 triode mode??

Again. You need to download a data sheet or search for some SE EL84 circuits and look at what has been done before. No need to reinvent the wheel. Get it working before you try turning it into the space shuttle. I would not bias the EL84 for more than about 15mA for use in a linestage. That is me though. Be aware that when using plate loading chokes that it is not necessary to drop the same voltage across the choke as you do across the tube. Not that you would be able to anyway. Try for a B+ of 265 and set the current for 15mA and I think you will be pleased with the sound.

Thanks!!! :)

Your welcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.