• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Michaelson and Austin Oddysee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an opportunity to horsetrade for one of these amps. I have heard miced reviews regarding this company. The amp uses 8 EL34's and two 12AX'7 and rectifiers (can't remember what type). Output is rated 45 watts per channel class A. Anyone have any info on this integrated amp?

Thanks

Peter

Hello LPD,

one of my friends has used a one of these for years.
He used them with B&W 801 S1 speakers. I have listened tot his combination a lot.

I always liked the sound of the amp (although not too powerful, at least not on the 801's) and the (bizarre) looks of course.

If you could get it for areasonable price I would certainly take it!

It is the one in the picture, right?

Matt.

Attachments

• 00006586.jpg
    00006586.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 390
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Any ideas what this amp retailed for new? How about used?

Not even the foggiest...

It was Michaelson Audio not Michaelson and Austin

Don't think so...unless both companies existed at one point in time I've always known it as being Michaelson (Anthony) and Austin (?).
My first valve preamp was a M&A TVP-1, BTW.
Some of the designs were done by Tim de Paravicini as well, IIRC.
Later on AM joined/co-founded (?) Musical Fidelity.

Cheers,;)

lpd said:
Do you know anything about the Odysseus integrated amplifier? Year it was manufactured, specs, cost, ect....

That's going back at least 15 years, probably more and whatever I once knew, I have long forgotten. I remember a review of the Chronos in the UK magazine HiFi News and there may have been one of the Odysseus around same time.

Ok so I picked up the Michaelson Audio (written on the amplifier) Odysseus Mark II and I am impressed. Great dynamics and lots of power (4 EL34's per channel Ultra Linear/Fixed Bias). What I don't understand is that the amp is rated 45 Watts per channel Class A, seems it has alot more steam than that and I didn't think 45 watts with 4 EL34's was possible?

lpd said:
Ok so I picked up the Michaelson Audio (written on the amplifier) Odysseus Mark II and I am impressed. Great dynamics and lots of power (4 EL34's per channel Ultra Linear/Fixed Bias). What I don't understand is that the amp is rated 45 Watts per channel Class A, seems it has alot more steam than that and I didn't think 45 watts with 4 EL34's was possible?

As you say 45w per ch. Came out around 1991 ( HFNRR review Oct '91) Price £1150.

Well I am impressed with this amplifier. I have begun to roll out the stock 12AX7's (Sovteks I believe), and was very surprised. I tried a pair of smooth Tele's and there was no bottem end. I tried a pair of vintage 50's Valvos and the bass was mushy, but great midrange. I then tried a pair of Amperex (60's stock) which tightened things up a little on the bottem end. I'll keep rollin' to find the right combo. Outputs are Sovteks as well, and I might try some Svetlana's instead. Any ideas for 12AX7''s?

Musical Fidelity Oddesius

This was indeed launched in 1991 for the US market.
4 times EL34 per channel has 96 watts total plate disipation and Class A push pull is 50% efficient so 48 watts output. Second valve was ECC85.

No comments on A.M. Still around playing clarinet.

AV8R

Hello Friends,
I'm planning to build the clone M&A TVA-1 Power Amp Stereo.
I have the schematic drawing and heard that the Power supply is critical to the design to prolong the Tubes. The schematic drawing I have is a simple power supply believe is not good enough for the Tubes.
I have heard of the Soft Start and Delay Circuit that can help to prolong the life of these Tubes.
Is there anybody that can help.
Also what is the current that draws by the TVA-1 Amp and trying to custom made the Power Transformer.

Will appreciate anybody can help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.