Michaelson and Austin Oddysee - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2004, 04:23 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Don't think so...unless both companies existed at one point in time I've always known it as being Michaelson (Anthony) and Austin (?).

Michaelson Audio came into being long after the the demise of M&A and operated in parallel with the Musical Fidelity brand.
Old 9th July 2004, 07:11 PM   #12
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do you know anything about the Odysseus integrated amplifier? Year it was manufactured, specs, cost, ect....
Old 9th July 2004, 08:09 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lpd
Do you know anything about the Odysseus integrated amplifier? Year it was manufactured, specs, cost, ect....
That's going back at least 15 years, probably more and whatever I once knew, I have long forgotten. I remember a review of the Chronos in the UK magazine HiFi News and there may have been one of the Odysseus around same time.
Old 12th July 2004, 07:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Ok so I picked up the Michaelson Audio (written on the amplifier) Odysseus Mark II and I am impressed. Great dynamics and lots of power (4 EL34's per channel Ultra Linear/Fixed Bias). What I don't understand is that the amp is rated 45 Watts per channel Class A, seems it has alot more steam than that and I didn't think 45 watts with 4 EL34's was possible?
Old 30th July 2004, 07:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lpd
Ok so I picked up the Michaelson Audio (written on the amplifier) Odysseus Mark II and I am impressed. Great dynamics and lots of power (4 EL34's per channel Ultra Linear/Fixed Bias). What I don't understand is that the amp is rated 45 Watts per channel Class A, seems it has alot more steam than that and I didn't think 45 watts with 4 EL34's was possible?
As you say 45w per ch. Came out around 1991 ( HFNRR review Oct '91) Price 1150.
Old 1st August 2004, 06:49 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well I am impressed with this amplifier. I have begun to roll out the stock 12AX7's (Sovteks I believe), and was very surprised. I tried a pair of smooth Tele's and there was no bottem end. I tried a pair of vintage 50's Valvos and the bass was mushy, but great midrange. I then tried a pair of Amperex (60's stock) which tightened things up a little on the bottem end. I'll keep rollin' to find the right combo. Outputs are Sovteks as well, and I might try some Svetlana's instead. Any ideas for 12AX7''s?
Old 2nd August 2004, 10:58 AM   #17
AV8R is offline AV8R  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Musical Fidelity Oddesius

This was indeed launched in 1991 for the US market.
4 times EL34 per channel has 96 watts total plate disipation and Class A push pull is 50% efficient so 48 watts output. Second valve was ECC85.

No comments on A.M. Still around playing clarinet.

AV8R
Old 10th August 2010, 02:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hello Friends,
I'm planning to build the clone M&A TVA-1 Power Amp Stereo.
I have the schematic drawing and heard that the Power supply is critical to the design to prolong the Tubes. The schematic drawing I have is a simple power supply believe is not good enough for the Tubes.
I have heard of the Soft Start and Delay Circuit that can help to prolong the life of these Tubes.
Is there anybody that can help.
Also what is the current that draws by the TVA-1 Amp and trying to custom made the Power Transformer.

Will appreciate anybody can help.

Hide this!Advertise here!