Anyone know anything about a 6AV5GA? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2004, 11:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Default Anyone know anything about a 6AV5GA?

I have a couple of interesting looking 6AV5GA tubes in my collection. Does anyone have any experience of using these for single ended audio applications?
So-far I have found out that they are television sweep tubes and have read somewhere that triode connected versions were sold as 6B4s ??!

I have plate curves for pentode connection only although triode connection is mentioned in the datasheet.

Any info would be very useful
Old 7th July 2004, 11:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

6AV5 is a indirectly heated beam penthode, not really all that linear as a triode...
I've never seen it used in SE amps but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

However:

Quote:
So-far I have found out that they are television sweep tubes and have read somewhere that triode connected versions were sold as 6B4s ??!
I suppose someone is confusing this one with the 6A5 (G).

6A5G

Cheers,
Old 7th July 2004, 11:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

6AV5 is a indirectly heated beam penthode, not really all that linear as a triode...
I've never seen it used in SE amps but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

However:

Quote:
I suppose someone is confusing this one with the 6A5 (G).

Cheers,
Old 7th July 2004, 11:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Thanks for the info I thought the 6b4 story seemed unlikely especially as the maximum screen voltage of the 6av5 is so low.

I still fancy building something SE for all the wrong reasons really:

I only have two of the tubes and I like the look of them
Old 8th July 2004, 12:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb 6AV5GA

I have not delved into the details, but there was a 6B4GA?. A JAN tube made by Sylvania that was supposed to be a 6AV5GA triode strapped. I've seen pictures of them.You see them for sale from time to time. How it could ever replace a 6b4 in a circuit is beyond me!
Old 8th July 2004, 02:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone know anything about a 6AV5GA?

Quote:
Originally posted by martinab2
I have a couple of interesting looking 6AV5GA tubes in my collection. Does anyone have any experience of using these for single ended audio applications?
There was an article in Sound Practices by JC Morrison using these single ended, screen driven. The input stage was a pentode (WE404/5847 - I think.)

It was supposedly a very good amp.
Old 8th July 2004, 05:09 PM   #7
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Anyone know anything about a 6AV5GA?

Quote:
Originally posted by martinab2
So-far I have found out that they are television sweep tubes and have read somewhere that triode connected versions were sold as 6B4s ??!Any info would be very useful
I have seen iffy-looking straight sided Sylvania 6B4G which were probably the re-pinned 6AV5 you mention . 6B4G usually have twin '45' style anodes in parallel , these '6B4G' had single anodes and multiple grids . A supplier in the UK who's motto is 'potential audio type' touts the 6AV5 as a '6B4G near substitute' , this claim should be treated with caution , although I believe that DeHavilland use triode wired 6AV5 as a driver in their class AB2 GM70 amp with excellent results . There are tons of other similar valves , EL360 for example , which is a lot more rugged .

cheers

316a
Old 9th July 2004, 01:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Although these tube are likely to be of limited use for SE output, I would still be keen to get my hands on triode curves for them. At the moment I only have tetrode data.
Old 9th July 2004, 02:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I would still be keen to get my hands on triode curves for them. At the moment I only have tetrode data.
The curves at the bottom of the PDF files are taken in pentode mode but give a good idea:

FRANK PHILIPSE

Cheers,
Old 17th September 2005, 08:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Found this post on audioasylum tube section. I can feel some experiments coming on!

Hide this!Advertise here!