• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

amp in trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I give up, science must come to the rescue.

Put another full wave bridge and this works well giving me 278 DC. Good boy! But voltage goes like this: C1---279;C2---269;C3---217;Plate----124.
Well i then begun to change caps; i discarded the electrolitycs and placed some start motor caps i have------same volts.

:xeye: At that moment i gave up and went to check the sound---hey maybe with a 120v on the plate still sounds good!!!
To my surprise:eek: the amp was as loud as before!!!!!!!.
Something funny is going on here but i don't know and probably never will. For a 0.2 v input (soundcard output) i get 6 volts in the OT secondaries. How much watts? Should give 2w as it is in triode mode. Will give 4 wired as pentode.
Cheers

p.s. amp sounds good...these huge caps are great... it's a pity i can't get them in....bigger than my amp.

p.s. multimeter is ok and i didnt do any mistakes reading the voltage. Some unknown law is going on and i give up.
Thanks for the help.
Send this thread to the x files.

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.