6C33C/6H6P amp - which one? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2002, 10:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6C33C/6H6P amp - which one?

Hello...
I consider an amp for my electrostats and decided to go for something with 6C33C tube. So I have some questions:
- the esl's are Martin Logan Scenario (hybrid with 20cm bass, impedance varies between 6 in the mid and 3 ohm at 20 kHz,
89 dB/w)
- would I have to use PP or would SE with this tube be ok,
how many 6C33C tubes would I need in SE configuration and how many in PP ( I think about PP and two pairs per channel but
maybe SE would make the deal? )
- if I should go for PP then which mode - ultralinear or triode..?
- what amount of feedback should I consider..?
- how good damping factor and control of the amplifier can I achieve...? (I thought about transformer with higher resistance so
that there's higher damping factor, what value would be ok?)
- is 6H6P a good idea for line stage and for driver(is it really
better sonically than typical 6992...?)

Thanks,

Fuzzy_Logic
Old 25th May 2002, 12:58 PM   #2
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

Hi there,
This type of tube suitable for output transformerless ! But If u want a high power amplifier add output transformer working in PP it can ez achieve more than 100w (4 ohm) !
Old 28th May 2002, 07:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default ultralinear

Hello,

how can you go ultralinear with a triode tube,
that is not possible.

Reinhard
Old 29th May 2002, 04:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Martin Logans are not efficient enough for SE unlesss you want to use tubes that are not very good for audio. PP is your best bet. I have some stats that while not in the same league and are not hybrids, I use a PP 7868 or an 6L6 family power tube. They sound great. They are combined with a woofer using a passive cross and a different amp and it sounds great. It is funny to me that the center channel of my home theatre sounds better than most systems. If you can bi amp so much the better. The ES need a lot of power and it could be that the woofer does too. An active cross and an amp for each could really improve your sound. An active cross and your favorite tube amps are the best, quickest and possibly cheapest way to get these to sound like you want,
Old 31st May 2002, 10:09 AM   #5
2A3 is offline 2A3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Then any schematic suggestion for two 6C33C running in OTL per channel?

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2002, 11:48 AM   #6
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default 6C33C : thermal (in)stability

Folks,
if you toy around with the 6C33C (you are holding the tiger by his tail, you know that?), you have tackle the thermal instability of that tube, too. It has 500mA of quiescent current. It heats up and changes its transconductance. And smallest supply voltage changes affect the effective bias, too, due to its terribly high transconductance.

Strong advice, build an active bias voltage regulator with a timeconstant of, say 1Hz, it must be a PI-regulator with zero regulating deviation. The reg has to keep the quiescent current constant by changing the bias voltage.
Old 20th March 2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Mordor is offline Mordor  Italy
diyAudio Member

i have this tubes... im searching simple schematic with 6h6p.
I know the 6c33 termal instability, but i can find example of anodic current regulator: anyone can post an example? i have some ideas: one mosfet with zener.... is right?
Old 21st March 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

6C33 SET 15 Watt Class A amplifer
i think you can modify this one
Old 21st March 2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrazvan View Post
6C33 SET 15 Watt Class A amplifer
i think you can modify this one
There is a lot of voltage gain in this design (two 6SN7 stages cascaded).
Then quite some gNFB.
I would load the 6C33 at it's cathode in stead of anode (same output transformer), and skip the feedback. Now you [B]need[B] the voltage gain, and the output stage will be lower impedance (local FB).
Some time ago I heard an excellent 6C33 amp with this topology
Old 21st March 2011, 06:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to knoberik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordor View Post
I know the 6c33 termal instability, but i can find example of anodic current regulator:
I gathered some real life experience lately about 6C33C as I made the OTL on them. I checked and did brake-in for about 20 pcs of NOS tubes (mfg 1967-1991), learning the tolerances issue and behaviour of the tubes. I got only 2 pcs out of them appearing bad (inner shorts), both made in 1960's, which I take as a very good result.

This thermal instability issue is over epmhasized. It appears only when running those tubes near absolute maximum allowed power, near anode glowing. And this is not the way how to use the 6C33C (and other same kind of thick anode tubes, 6C18C and 6C41C for example)!

If you are driving 6C33C at up to 35-40W continious on anode, nothing bad happens and tubes are very stable with fixed bias. Yes, there is the "startup gap" as Romythecat explaines, but it's not a problem, it's one of charecteristics of the 6C33C. If you keep above in mind, you do not need auto biasing.
The 6C33C can take a lot of current in impulses, but do not heat it continuosly at the edge of maximum, leave the headroom. When the anode gets red it bends and this means the end for the tube.

Actually I fell into those 6C33C tubes, my OTL sounds just so much better than all OT amps I had ever made, I left all thoughts about OT anymore at once. And of course - fixed bias gives the best sound.
I suggest to try 6C33C, but try as OTL. It's a very much different but pleasant world in Tubeland.

Hide this!Advertise here!