• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC808- what is it more like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again

Also it can only handle half the plate disipation - compaired to the ECC83. I have some of these but have never used them. I had a Dyancord Eminent song amp once where they were used. The different pinout should provide less cross talk if a stereo signal is used on the same tube. If you have an amp using ECC83 and it is hardwired, it should be easy to convert it to run ECC808 instead of ECC83.

Peter

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The only manufacturer I know of that's used the ECC808 over the past two decades is german based Klimo in their Merlin preamp.

To me this is simply the very best ECC83 based tube ever developed.
It simply had everything one could possibly wish for; low noise, symmetric inner construction, low microphony and best of all: it was developped by TFK....

This is the one I'd love to see back into production iso all these 12AX7WA, Bs, etc.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How is it like compared to an ECC803S ?

IMO the two can't really be compared on a fair basis.

The TFK ECC803S isn't even a very sounding good audio tube and that goes for alot of the so called professional tubes anyway.
These weren't really made for audio service in the first place and the longlife treatment gives them a rather thin, cold sound.

To my ears a bog standard TFK ECC83 beats a TFK ECC803S hand down when it comes to sonics.
Just my opinion but alot of people seem to feel the same way about this anyway.

At USD 25 a pop the ECC808s are a steal as they'd costed more than that 15 years ago already when bought retail.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How does it compare with the E283CC?

Another oddball sporting a similar plate construction to the 6DJ8 and TFK/TESLA E83CC.

It does have a different pinout from the regular 12AX7A/ECC83 and only takes a 6.3V heater.

If your project doesn't demand the special features of the E283CC, I'd rather use a TESLA E83CC which is surprisingly quiet, good sounding and still available as NOS for a reasonable price.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.