• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

is 5mA too low???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is 5mA current really too low in a pre-amp??

I have currently a resistor loaded stage (20K anode resistor, 120v plate, 3.5v bias, on a EL84 triode connection)..

is this too low to drive a SS amplifier or tube amp??

also, would changing the 20K resistor to a choke load improve things??

finally, what value of choke should I use for a EL84 connected in triode mode???

there is no cathode follower on the output.

Thanks!!!

Errrr, so a SET amp running a 2A3 circa 800 ohms Ri into a 2.5kohm load is utterly useless? I don't see the connection.

Now, at 5mA, yes it most certainly is. :D

Nice thing about small signals though, you can get away with nasty hookups because it's so small, it encounters only small amounts of nonlinearity. You can easily drive 600 ohm lines from a... 6DJ8 (huh, now that's odd, you never see that guy as a line driver), plate loaded. You might only get 5 or 10V, but it's there. ;) I personally drive 32 ohm headphones with 12AU7 CF's at 5mA or so, it gets the job done but that's about it (only a few mW, but thus it shall remain as the PSU can't spare any more bias current).

Tim

Tim, I suppose it depends on what you think is an acceptable level of distortion. Just curious, since I don't have triode-connected EL84 curves to hand- what's the change in rp when going from 19 to 21 ma?

Errrr, so a SET amp running a 2A3 circa 800 ohms Ri into a 2.5kohm load is utterly useless?

As a signal processing device, possibly not. As a neutral amplifier, yes. But my bigotry in that regard is well-known.

hmmm....

well funny thing...

if you look at the curves and specs....

triode EL84 looks very similar to ECC99...

and have similar "sound"

running at 120v 5mA 3.5v bias.. the triode EL84 has a very natural sound to it.. very good bass.

and this is with a 18K plate load with NO CF... driving a 80K input impedance of a tube amp..

which btw, doesn't have a very good gain and needs about 4v or so for max output.

So if for "regular" amps SS or tube.. with the 1v sensitivity I think that 5mA should be ok.

question is now:

should I put an active load on the EL84 or choke load it with a 200H choke???

thoughts?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Never built this one but maybe worth tinkering with...

Cheers, ;)

Attachments

• el84_etm preamp.gif
    el84_etm preamp.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.