• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can I use this tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I am thinking of building my first headphone tube amp simillar to Morgan Jones amp. My questions are:
Can I use the russian 6N9S tube? (cyrillic transcription). It has simillar characteristics as 6N1P which is used in MJ clone (the project in HeadWize)?
Since the voltage in my country is 220vAC is it necesary to use a trnsformer for the main ( not filament ) power supply? In the project it uses a Hammond 269AX to convert 110VAC to 240VAC. Thanks.

G

Joined 2002
the_villain said:
Hi. I am thinking of building my first headphone tube amp simillar to Morgan Jones amp. My questions are:
Can I use the russian 6N9S tube? (cyrillic transcription). It has simillar characteristics as 6N1P which is used in MJ clone (the project in HeadWize)?
Since the voltage in my country is 220vAC is it necesary to use a trnsformer for the main ( not filament ) power supply? In the project it uses a Hammond 269AX to convert 110VAC to 240VAC. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the tube but I'm sure that if it is a medium mu triode with similar characteristics to a 6N1P that it can be used. It is DEFINATELY necessary to use a mains transformer. This is a matter of safety! I'm sure that one of Hammond 300 series power transformers will get the job done. They are "universal transformers" which can be used with a wide variety of different mains voltages. After that just follow the schematic and you are home free. Always use a transformer with electrical devices. They provide isolation between you and death, noise and other bad things. Use a fuse too!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.