First time builder, need advice. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2004, 10:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh sure! Go ahead and get Frank & Sy involved! Frank will want to regulate the AC mains coming out of the wall!!
And SY will want you to build a PP amp with unobtanium tubes and non-fancy capacitors. Then he'll tell you to drive electrostats with it. But I think you can safely ignore them both
Old 2nd July 2004, 10:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Schematic

apetersn here is a design for your consideration as you mentioned 2A3's in my post...

LINK CAUSE IT IS A BIG IMAGE

We should keep each other apprised of our progress.
Old 3rd July 2004, 12:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
But I think you can safely ignore them both
No you can't....

Anyway, this my adaptation of an idea by dutch audio fellow Triode Dick":

It's PP, uses solid state rectification and my favourite DHT triodes:

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: gif pp_2a3.gif (7.5 KB, 119 views)
Old 3rd July 2004, 12:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

The PSU to go with it:

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: gif psu_2a3_pp.gif (8.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 3rd July 2004, 08:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Schematic

Quote:
Originally posted by Frazzled
apetersn here is a design for your consideration as you mentioned 2A3's in my post...

LINK CAUSE IT IS A BIG IMAGE

We should keep each other apprised of our progress.

Yes that would be great. Are you leaning towards one or the other at this point ?
Old 3rd July 2004, 08:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes I think I have settled on the 300B I posted in my thread, I have already started buying some of the required parts.

I will keep you up to date...
Old 3rd July 2004, 08:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: First time builder, need advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by G

The least I've ever spent on a project is about $400. That is with cheap output transformers and a old power transformer that I bought on Ebay. Are you wanting to do single ended or push pull? What type of music do you listen to?
I really listen to a huge variety. Would a person be better off going with a push pull just to be safe? Is there a simple way of explaining the difference in an audio aspect. It seams to me that the PP design would offer much more power?
Old 3rd July 2004, 08:57 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frazzled
Yes I think I have settled on the 300B I posted in my thread, I have already started buying some of the required parts.

I will keep you up to date...

Excellent, What made you lean towards the 300B, I must admit that the looks of it in itself and its simplicity is a big seller for me. I can adjust and or build some speakers if the results are not what I am looking for. Have you purchased any transformers and are you going with the circuit that you posted ? If you have purchased transformers where did you purchase them from and which did you decide on ?
Old 3rd July 2004, 09:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G

Oh sure! Go ahead and get Frank & Sy involved! Frank will want to regulate the AC mains coming out of the wall!! Just kidding Frank. Seriously though. You can spend as much or as little as you want to. What is your goal? $400 is not a lot of money for a tube amp project. You will spend about $200 just for good output transformers. Bottlehead Paramours are a good kit at a good price but you will need different speakers. Full range Fostex speakers are certified ear candy with SE amps:

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

The Paramours can be found here:

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobesp...r/paramour.htm

You won't believe the sound from this combination. Cheers.

Great! This is going to get expensive quick! I looked at the Fostex speakers and some options for cabinet designs and they are fairly reasonable in price. I am getting excited about building some of those in the near future.
Old 3rd July 2004, 10:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by apetersn

Excellent, What made you lean towards the 300B, I must admit that the looks of it in itself and its simplicity is a big seller for me. I can adjust and or build some speakers if the results are not what I am looking for. Have you purchased any transformers and are you going with the circuit that you posted ? If you have purchased transformers where did you purchase them from and which did you decide on ?

I guess it would be the simplicity of the SE circuit and the fact that I like the look of the 300B tube and after I finish building the amp I can always upgrade it simply by purchasing the WE300B tubes.

I have started picking up the parts I need but I am keeping my eye open for some vintage trafo's, and I am making a few changes to the circuit as suggested by Eli Duttman (thanks Eli).

For me the power issue is irrelevant as I have some pretty big SS amplifiers laying around, if I want loud I can get loud, what I am looking for here is to kick back in my easy chair with a scotch and listen to some Vivaldi and stare at the gentle glow of those beautiful tubes

That in a nutshell is what I wanted as an end product.

P.S. the amplifier is the small part of the total investment, now I am looking at a turntable so I can start collecting some vinyl

Hide this!Advertise here!