• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vintage speaker screw outs to 1/4" plug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vintage speaker screw outs to 1/4" plug

If this question has come up please refer me to the old thread. Here's the deal: I bought an old Bogen CH20A tube PA to use as a guitar amp, and of course the ins and outs are all not what I'm used to (1/4"). The inputs include an aux and a screw-on mic. I'll likely go through the aux using an RCA-to-1/4" adapter from Radio Shack, and use my Ibanez Tube King as a preamp. Unless anyone has a better idea (without modifying the amp just yet).

Now, for the output: the speaker out is the 70V 3-pin kind, and there are also screws (ground and impedence). Plus, there are three wires coming out of the hole for the impedence selector. One is going to the 8 ohm screw, which is no surprise, but the other two end in U-clamps, which are attached to a "cinch" also via screws.

Questions: How can I safely go from the amp to my Carvin 4-12", which takes a 1/4" plug? Is there an adaptor for the 3-pin speaker out? Should I connect bare wire to the ground and 4 ohm screw (the ohmage of my cab)? If I do this, does the ohms selector end up on that screw too? Do you think someone rigged up the two mystery wires coming out of the impedence hole and I should have it looked at by a pro?

All this to avoid going to a shop to drop a bunch of cash to install 1/4" ins and outs.

JayGee-

I'm responding to an old post here you sent. Did you ever get an answer to this question? I just purchased a Bogen Challenger Amp, Model 35, and I have the same connectors that I want to convert for use with guitar. I have the 3-pin speaker outputs in the samp configuration.

thanks

*mystro2b*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.