• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sovtek 2A3 tolerances / defected tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Just finished 2A3 SE amp project and now I have difficulties to have correct bias voltage / quiescent current to second channel. Biasvoltage is 35V and it should to be 47V. So current is much lower and so B+ goes abot 25V higher than it supposed to go.

I'm using Steve's EZ 2A3 SRPP schematics here. I swapped 2A3s between two channels and I got same measurements here as well.

So is this tube just in its manufacturing limits or is it broken? The base and glass part is bit loose, so damages during transportation etc. might be possible.

In general, what are the possibilities to get equally behaving tube if I buy a new one?

As a newbie at least I learned in future to buy mached pairs only...

TIA

//riku

Thanks for info, arnoldc.

I'll return the problem tube back to store and make order for few extra ones. Fortunately these are reasonably priced. Any experiece from another brands, NOS and current production models?

Problem follows with the tube. With the good one bias voltages etc. are as marked in schematics in both channels.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If you don't order matched pairs/quads in the first place, can you then expect to have them matched nonetheless?

Powertubes like the 300B, 2A3 etc, will always have dispersions and it would be wise to either order them matched (not that that is going to be the solution for all amps but it's a start) or/and include some provision for individual biasing on the amplifier.

For a SET amp I wouldn't get too anal about it though.
Using a common B+ for both channels isn't the beest idea in the first place so I'd look into that first of all.

Cheers,;)

Sorry my inaccurate explanation...

Plan was to order mached pair and change that odd one. In a good luck one within closer to normal values. Or at least have one witch is better attached in its base. For tube novice like me it was quite a surprice that values might change this much.

I don't have common B+ for both channels, so there is chance to tune PSU individually.

I was in sort of an understanding that too low bias lowers the ability to drive tube and lower current then again lowers the bass reproduction in output iron (too big aircap).

Thanks,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.