• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

beta followers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm still quite new to tubes, and circuits in general to be fair. I've built a KT88 Williamson kit (Ella) and am very happy with it, but after reading through Morgan Jones's book a few times and reading lots on forums like this, I'm hungry to make improvements and start from scratch! I've seen that SRPP stages are very very commonplace in PP KT88 circuits (what I want to stick to for now) and wondered if a beta-follower would be an improvement in this situation. In Morgan Jones book he suggests that beta-followers carry the best traits from mu-followers and srpp stages in general, but then never mentions it again. Is this because it's just more complicated and he wanted to keep his designs for the book simpler? Or is it just because it's no good in this situation. Also there's very little information on beta-followers on the internet, so I'm guessing it's not widely used. Any suggestions from all you helpful experts out there?
Thanks for your help,
Steve

Aussie DIYers have documented SUCCESS choke loading a SRPP. That idea follows the same general trend as a beta follower, but is simpler to implement.

A plate loading choke whose inductive reactance at 20 Hz. is at least 3X Rp is used in place of the upper triode's cathode resistor. A variable resistor is used in series with the choke and adjusted to make the total resistance of the LC combination = to the lower triode's cathode resistor.

More gain and improved linearity are observed when a SRPP is choke loaded.

Steve,

I have not tried to work out how much gain the "SRPP" will have to supply. However, the ECC99, 6n1p, 12AV7, and 12AT7 with mus in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 60s respectively should provide you with a good choice.

BTW, are you going to triode wire the KT88s or run them UL? If you are triode wiring, I suggest you acquire a set of EI KT90s manufactured before the current quality control problems set in.

Ill keep an eye out then. Whenever I see them advertised it always says theyre the new mk3 versions or something like that though, which i guess is bad.
I tried the 6n1p's (I only have 2) and on one the heater and cathode seems to glow brighter, and seems to suffer quite badly from heater hum (still running ac heaters on the drivers :() so Ive had to go back to the original 6922's for now until I go home and can build stuff

It's not fair! I really want to get started with this, plotting out loadlines and stuff but I can't because I have an exam tomorrow :bawling: and my brains just going to be pondering all of this stuff now hehe.

Ah, it's just a mu-follower with <resistor from plate to cathode> --> infinity
By that do you mean that the resistance tends towards infinity? Is that how the top half ends up acting more like a constant current device? Im not sure but I think Im starting to understand all this a bit now. Also I noted that in the pictures in the book it shows LED's providing the cathode bias voltage for the lower valve. This sounds like a good idea to me (for a low current driver stage at least) as the bias voltage remains unchanged irrespective of what the current is, but I wondered what you all thought on that point too.
Thanks,
Steve

Yes.

The top tube senses voltage across the resistor (in SRPP/mu follower; in this case, the CCS) and tries to reduce the voltage towards zero. The net result being it acts as a CCS to the bottom tube, and a CF to the output (if taken from top cathode). If the resistor is zero, it sees no signal and is simply a biased tube, no more than a chunky, nonlinear resistor. (Taking the output from its cathode will still have a small advantageous effect.) With some finite resistance, it senses as mentioned. With an infinite resistance, current cannot change and thus any variation appears immediately on the top tube's grid, where it is canceled, keeping stability.

A very good approximation of this could be done with three triodes, basically you stack another "top tube" on a mu follower.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.