• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

choke power supply design info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i originally posted this to the solid-state forum, but you tube guys probably have a better handle on this stuff...

hi,

i know chokes (inductors) have long been used in tube power supplies, where the benefits (good ripple rejection, better regulation and smaller cap size than capacitor-only supplies) outweigh the drawbacks (higher power supply impedance, size and weight of chokes), but recently i've noticed some solid stage gear (the Musical Fidelity stuff in particular) using chokes in the supply to seemingly good effect. so i'm considering trying a choke-regulated supply in a solid-state preamp project i'm working on.

does anybody know any good references on designing choke power supplies? all of the information i've found so far pertains to high-voltage (tube) supplies and i'm trying to figure out how to optimize such a supply for the low-voltage rails i would use (e.g. +/- 24V). basically i'm looking for design tips, rules of thumb, basic formulas - anything to help me find optimum component values (i'm an EE so i can deal with the math). also, are there any good sources for the kinds of chokes i would need? they seem rather hard to find.

thanks,
marc

basically i'm looking for design tips, rules of thumb, basic formulas - anything to help me find optimum component values (i'm an EE so i can deal with the math).

Many of the older electronics text books have good sections on rectifiers with choke based filters and will give you the relevant equations. Pete Millets site has a lot of them. This one by the Crufts laboratory has a good section on rectifiers, there are many others. http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Cruft_Electronic.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.