Tube Preamp 'Clone' PCB copys on ebay (Marantz, McIntosh, etc) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2004, 03:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Tube Preamp 'Clone' PCB copys on ebay (Marantz, McIntosh, etc)

Dear All,
You can buy 'clone' pcb's of the famous tube preamps on ebay pretty cheap, I was wondering if anyone had tried any?

Don't get me wrong; I know you only get what you pay for, I was just thinking of buying a couple to play around with.

They mostly seem to be listed by sellers from Hong Kong, who have very good feedback, so I don't doubt the seller's trustworthyness.

Does anyone have anything to report.
Old 20th June 2004, 03:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

They come from this company in Hong Kong. Lots of stuff, the cases look particularly good for the money (in the pictures anyway).

http://www.diyclub.biz/
Old 20th June 2004, 06:02 PM   #3
ss1 is offline ss1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Andrew,
did you buy anything diyclub.biz? how are they?
thanks
Old 20th June 2004, 06:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

never used them but a couple things look interesting

Andrew
Old 20th June 2004, 06:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Boy was I irked. I visited the site to find 1" size photos with a file size of 120K+. It took over 7 minutes for the main catalog page to load. I wanted to see what they have but no way was I going to wait.

I'm the file size whiner around here and boy did I whine to them. It'll be interesting to see if they do anything about it.
Old 20th June 2004, 07:48 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, I visited, and left in irritation at the slow speed. My information is that broadband in HK really is broadband, so those large files would have downloaded quickly over there.
Old 21st June 2004, 02:51 AM   #7
ss1 is offline ss1  United States
diyAudio Member

hey Bill,
download an offline version of the website then you load it from your local drive. hehe it really depend on your isp.

hey Andrew
cool site. too bad the shipping cost so HIGH. like ouch. they're raising the prices soon too.
Old 21st June 2004, 01:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, the site is slow, I have a 512 adsl download and its slow but not too bad to me. As someone above noted you could just download the site to your machine and peruse easily.
It seems I am going to be the first one to test the waters, prices go up come July. I am ordering a cat sl-1 "special diy version" which supposedly has a better layout, a HV / LV regulator and
an R-core power trans all for ~ US$200.00. Shipping is US$60.00
yikes! but still a good deal methinks. I sent an email and it came back quickly, perfect English and all my questions were answered,
seems like a professional outfit, I'll see.

Andrew
Old 21st June 2004, 02:03 PM   #9
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, extremely slow on my cable connection as well.

Some interesting stuff, but I confess I too just stopped looking after the long load times!
Old 21st June 2004, 03:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Cross-continent Internet can be a pain...

as I write this from London. Having been in HK and Bejing last March, I can tell you that the download times work in both directions. Depending on where I am in Europe, the same applies, too. Considering that the old days required us to send postal mail with stamps, I'm still happy with longer download times.

That said, my comments on the site look promising. I'm not a fan of cloned circuits of old preamps and amps but I'm seriously considering some of the cases for my next project. They take Paypal, too, which helps me as I finance my audio hobby selling stuff out of our well-stocked garage via ebay, using the proceeds via Paypal.

Reports if there's something of merit. I've purchased from the famous Mr. Juki of HK in the past and things arrived fast via international post. Hope this one goes the same way.

Cheers,

David

Hide this!Advertise here!