• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Preamp 'Clone' PCB copys on ebay (Marantz, McIntosh, etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my experience

I also bought a stuffed board from 18audioguy, at last (after more than a month) it arrived.
The price was amazing, but communication quite terrible.
Notice that the packet I got was sent on sept. 16th, since the first never shoved up. I sent numerous emails and, at last, threathened a dispute resolution and negative feedback.

A week later the packet arrived.:smash:

Cheers

Andrea

I have made multiple purchases from these guys. Their shipping charges are a bit high, but the product prices are great. Shipping time depends on the method used. Cheap shipping means surface transport all the way. In my case this meant 5 weeks. I now pay more for air and get stuff in 7 to 10 days.

I bought their non oversampling DAC-AH and matching transformer. The board was very well made. I did replace the Opamps with OPA627's and like the sound I get. I bought this because my Sony XA777ES was too analytical. The DAC-AH is not as accurate, but I prefer the sound from it.

Later I bought the LS-27 preamp stuffed by them. Again the board is really well made. The components were OK. I did have some trouble getting it to work. This was more my lack of knowledge on tube stuff then any problem with the board. I have exchanged many emails with Johnny and I find him to be helpful and patient. The only problem is the language barrier.

Overall I will probably buy from them again.

I bought their mains power filter(s) x 2 and 4 of their oxygen free copper power cords. The shipping was fast and the filters are just amazing on my Welborne300b amps. The other 2 are for my soon to be delivered Welborne 45 DRD amps with tube rectification. The noise floor dropped and the sound realy improved. There is now a total system synergy that is just amazing to me. The power cords are really stout and look much better than the pictures on ebay. A real bargain at only $35 each. I now have powervars off the wall outlet and then the mains filters before my amps coming off the two powervar line filters. I think with shipping it was the best $400 that I have spent this year on audio. Where in the USA can I buy two high quality mains filters and 4 upgraded power cords with shipping for just over $400 to my door? The seller told me they have plans to start selling some high quality transformers for tube amps down the road. I have no affiliation with them. I only found the seller by doing a search for "300b" on ebay. That is how I stumbled onto his items for sale. I now need to buy two more power cords for my new (to me) Klimo Kent p-p el34 amps that are on the way to me. It is nice to see the quality improving on Far East products. John C.

Re: mattjk

reinhard said:
Hello,
the phono board is a clone from the Vacuum Tube Logic Book,
David Manley design, Ultimate and Super de Luxe phono.

First Stage is a gronded grid amp with a single triode. Personally I found this design to noisy for MC.

Reinhard:bigeyes:

Welp, I'm looking for a forward sounding preamp, and I use mostly high output MM carts. Do you think this would suit me, or maybe some of their SS designs? I did alot of searching for the Pearl phono preamp, and the consensus seems to be that is it laid back sounding, so it came off my list.

"None of the boards come with anything close to what you or I would call instructions. Some bare boards with some (not all) values stenciled on the top will omit the parts list, other boards will have the schematic."

I found a site that has all those schematics you can download. I guess if you can't read the schenatic and trace it out on the board(assuming no silk screening) then you might want to go back and learn this part before attempting to biuld any sort of circuit let alone one of these!!

Be aware that some of these will require selected low noise tubes and extreme shielding to achieve best S/N. The MC/MM phono is a good example of one.

Go to www.kitsparts.com for downloading the majority of the schematics on the tube stuff!!

Mark

Hi,

What was your final verdict on the cloned Cat?

Thanks, Nick

Andrewbee said:
Yes, the site is slow, I have a 512 adsl download and its slow but not too bad to me. As someone above noted you could just download the site to your machine and peruse easily.
It seems I am going to be the first one to test the waters, prices go up come July. I am ordering a cat sl-1 "special diy version" which supposedly has a better layout, a HV / LV regulator and
an R-core power trans all for ~ US$200.00. Shipping is US$60.00
yikes! but still a good deal methinks. I sent an email and it came back quickly, perfect English and all my questions were answered,
seems like a professional outfit, I'll see.

Andrew

they are trustworthy

I have purchased direct from DIY on many occassions who use products from among others liteAudio in China, They are very well put together and unless someone told you where they are from you would not know.

I have had no problems and all questions on variations or questions have been answered without delay.

I can not vouch for the ebay people, but I would sugest to deal direct with DIY or if you can speak Chinese LiteAudio, the prices are the same.
I am in Aus so like you all we need to trust when reasonably large money is sent.

Re: they are trustworthy

Hi Frank,

I really want to try the Jadis Preamp clone, but from what I've been reading, it's not really a clone and sounds nothing like the Jadis. Not to mention the numerous problems posted on this website pertaining to unrepairable hum with that specific product. Can you offer any guidance in this area?

Thanks, Nick

P.S. the Kit website won't let me sign in right now and My Mandarin is very rusty, I suspect that I'll have to grab a friend to communicate with liteaudio unless the kit.com website starts working properly again.

frank2395 said:
I have purchased direct from DIY on many occassions who use products from among others liteAudio in China, They are very well put together and unless someone told you where they are from you would not know.

I have had no problems and all questions on variations or questions have been answered without delay.

I can not vouch for the ebay people, but I would sugest to deal direct with DIY or if you can speak Chinese LiteAudio, the prices are the same.
I am in Aus so like you all we need to trust when reasonably large money is sent.

mattjk said:
I'm interested in purchasing this board:
LS-37 mm/mc phono amp (12AX7)
http://www.diyclub.biz/catalog/default.php?cPath=149_106_34

Anyone have experience with this? I would need help with the powersupply. :eek:

Hi mattjk,
I just purchased this board from the guy in local but he have no either schema and part list
Appreciate if you can share the schema and partlist with me

Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.