• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube rectifier life expectancy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My AZ1 rectifier seems to have failed. I a little suprised as it was being run at specified parameters. I've only been using this tube for about a year, and even then, the cd player was not on all the time.....

I've checked connections to the heater supply and these seem fine, the filaments however won't heat up, so I assume that it's done...
So have I just been unlucky, or should it have lasted longer....

thanks
Raja

AZ1 is a rugged rectifier with max 60uF at 2x300V and 2x60 ohms.

It should have lasted a lifetime in that circuit. My guess is a "monday" specimen of the tube with either a poor weld or poor vacuum.

Check the solderings on its pins, could be an intermittent contact. The socket could also be a problem.

Jax said:

It should have lasted a lifetime in that circuit. My guess is a "monday" specimen of the tube with either a poor weld or poor vacuum.

Hi,

Your guess is correct, there is no vacuum, the base for the tube has rusted, there is at least one hole, clearly visible to the eye. I won't be buying another from this particular supplier.

Thanks
Raja

Hi,

The circuit is very very good, best cd sound I've heard, I run mine without the rolloff caps or input resistors....

In a way having this up and running has kept me away from vinyl, I am looking at getting a turntable, but I question whether it'll sound any better unless I spend some serious cash. Turntable wise I've looked at the garrard 301/401 or linn lp12. Both seem to pop up every now and again, but are also steeped in controversy.......

Can you reccommend any good phono stage circuits, looking for a minimalistic approach.........

Thanks
Raja

Hi,

I didn't actually design the circuit, for that we can credit occasional user ultranalog, if it's specs and noise figures you're interested in, there was a whole series of information presented on tnt audio a few months ago, using the cap between these pins helps to reduce noise, do a search on the website of tnt, sift thru the article, this should give you the info you desire...........

Thanks
Raja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.