• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Metal VS Glass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if the metal has magnetic properties or is earthed for some reason, then it will effect the sound... but it's not going to make your sound more tinny... more likely less tinny.. although i doubt you'd hear a difference at all because it's pretty unlikely the metal case will have much effect at all really... just like using a metal shield around an otherwise glass preamp tube... because this is earthed, it creates a capacitance to ground, and this is fact, just look at a data sheet, the output capacitance goes up in a relatively big amount, but this is 'relative' to what it was, and in reality, this capacitance is very small... thing is, does anyone hear what a shield does apart from it's intended job of reducing interferance??? so fear not... i think the advantage of metal tubes would be if you drop them on a hard floor, it's only the internal parts that will break, so you don't have to clean up the glass if you break it! now that's gotta be good eh? :)

cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

thing is, does anyone hear what a shield does apart from it's intended job of reducing interferance???

Errr...sorry, yes I definetely do hear the difference most of the time depending on what valve/circuit it's being used.

Actually, a 6V6Y consists of a miniaturized glass tube sealed in a metal case...

That's not the case of all metal tubes but quite alot are indeed just a glass tube with a metal can around it.
Some of them also have a bad reputation of being microphonic and gassy.
Other than that....I don't like'm.:cool:

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.