• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

does anybody know this transfo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello guys,

the first picture is the amplifier. And the next are the transfo, power and output transfo, can anybody tell me what brand they are, there is nothing on it. i have even completely open one up, and nothing was there. does anyone has a scheme of this ?

thanx a lot
(oh yeah, it are big photo's)
thanx already

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unsure but it looks like a mid-late 1960's british EL84 SE amp I see in magazines every now and again...

The trafos are probably of the same brand as written upon the front and that left-hand side white tube needs replacing among a hell of a lot more other components.

Personally I found the soldering skills of the person whom placed that black-tube probably heatshrink in to be lacking, you shouldn't melt film caps :\

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The powercord even has the standard US plug on it.
Indeed TRIO, like Marantz and maybe some other manufacturers, were sold to Japanese corporations in the Seventies (?).

Upon which TRIO, as a brandname, was slowly replaced with the name Kenwood at least that's how it was for the exported products.

As for the OPTs and other iron...well, I think you can play "whodunnit" on that one for a very long time and probably never find the answer.

Cheers, ;)

hahaaha, incredible how much you guys can see things,
looking at the resistors, hahaha, great.

there is an el84 tube missing. from what i can see, it's a push pull, el84 with 12ax7 in front.

i'm gonna build the same again : the el84 as push pull as power and an el84 as pramp. So i'm gonna buy 6 el84 and all the rest out of it. There are a lot of knobs in it which i don't use and make the signal worse.

I have found a circuit on www.diyparadise.com, the guy (a great generous guy) has build it, he says it sound very good.

but if anybody has an even better circuit let it come down on me.

thanx already a lot.

ps:something completely different,: does the 1626 really sounds that good, i mean better then a 45-2a3-300b (from sovtek let us say, because a 1626 and an WE300 is ti big price difference, i can buy 2a3 sovtek but not an WE300.

i thought about it, but still i wanna remove a lot parts because i don't need them.

and i don't know what the previous owner has done with it. he only says that it doesn't work anymore. so...
and i'm not a GOD with tubes, it's my first project

does anyone have a clou how i can now the specs of the outputrannies

thanx a lot guys

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

does anyone have a clou how i can now the specs of the outputrannies

Probably it's a 8K PP UL (?) xformer.
I'd pull the iron and build a new amp with that if it were me.
It's not as if the TRIO has any collectors value and by the look of it it has been "repaired" a dozen times already...so, junk that thing.

BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if the original amp used 7189A output tubes since most of those integrated TRIOs I've seen invariably did.

Cheers,;)

Hello. I am writing this from Japan. As Trio was more popular in ham gears than audio equipments, we can find little information on their amplifiers even in Japan. Trio is not making their own transformers, thus the parts you are asking would be supplied by some OEM.

Here are several Web sites where you can find restore projects for W-41 amplifieres (all of them include Japanese characters):
http://bokenasu.oops.jp/w41_2/w41_2.htm
http://www.geocities.jp/oldrxjp/W-41.html
http://bokenasu.oops.jp/w41/w41.htm.

The amplifier is 6BQ5/EL84 push-pull and three 12AX7?ECC83 are used for the main amplifier block. RIAA equalizer is a pair of 12AX7/ECC83.

Hope this helps you.

Probably it's a 8K PP UL (?) xformer. I'd pull the iron and build a new amp with that if it were me. It's not as if the TRIO has any collectors value and by the look of it it has been "repaired" a dozen times already...so, junk that thing. BTW, it wouldn't surprise me if the original amp used 7189A output tubes since most of those integrated TRIOs I've seen invariably did. Cheers,

I'd prefer to just scrap the caps and resistors one by one give it a new guts and use the same chassis and trannies to go along with the original design.

Probably even fix the faults which were designed when it was manufactured with better sounding modifications.

But that's my opinion :)

i made up my mind

hello guys,

i'm gonna build something with it.
I had post some questions about single ended 2a3 or OTL( thanx for the advice) but it"s to expensive. I'm gonna do something with the parts that i have lying around, so with the parts i have on this amp.

I have looked carefully at the amp, and it is an indeed a push pull el84, where the tubes are connected in a pentode configuration.first i thought it was tiode, because the brand was trio but that was a misunderstanding. But it also carries the name W-41, So i suppose that the amp put's out 20watt per channel.

I have looked and looked on the internet for decent designs with an el84 on it. I have found some, but old designs, with the ecc83 in front, but i want to build it with an 5687, ecc99, 6n1p or something (so a little bit better then the ecc83).

I can also put other tubes on it, since i won't use the one that are on it. I don't know what happed to them and it's gotto to be push pull, so matched pairs it's gonna be.

I want to build a pushpull with the trannies that are configured in push pull TRIODE; i looked at the trannies and they don't have an ultralineair tap (on 43%) only the middle and the outers.

SO my first question :
1)will it make a big sound difference to put non Ecc83 in front of it?
2)what driver could i use in frotn of el84
3)does anyone has a design class A -triode-

4) OR do i have to do something else, onther power tube on it, and just use the trannies ?

thanx a lot guys
greetings, the dude

I don't think the Trio is junk. I have had a Trio ecl82 amp wich I rebuild with an old schematic of an even older dutch magazine from the sixties. I have posted a couple of times about this little amp but it is still one of the best sounding PP amps I have ever build and/or heard, yes even better than a couple of quite expensive commercial ones (Yes, I mean Jadis) Never managed that with the popular bocama/lafayette la224B, I have owned a couple of them and that's really crap, the Trio iron is much better.
Don't know about there EL84 amp but it looks like it comes from the same range as mine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.