• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

base for amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

i have on the works a pre-amp using acrylic as chassis. the acrylic is 1/4" and i visualize would look nice, hopefully.

my amp project on acrylic is also on the way, this time i use 1/2" acrylic but there will be 2mm aluminum for grounding and heatsink.

obviously, i did not answer your question :smash:

peter daniel is the acrylic guru in this forum, but he's into solid state amps.

hmm a pre amp would look good. what ill do is buy a small piece
and set it up with a tube see if it gets soft. my trio amp case started to fall apart and shorted the amp so im making a new one
just wondering if it will hold all this. or maybe i should go with aluminum not sure

see pic->:)

the last owner must have dropped the amp the case was in bad shape

Attachments

• mvc-652f.jpg
    mvc-652f.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 92
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
It takes a lot of heat to soften acrylic - more than provided by valves. However, I'd be prepared to bet that in the long term it would make it go brittle. More to the point, I would be very uneasy about attempting to build a hum-free valve pre-amplifier in an unscreened case. Stick with aluminium until you really know what you're doing.

skip it. im going to send the plate in and have it spot welded.
then ill just paint it rebuild it replace the coupling caps tubes and sockets i like the look it had:D

it going to be a summer project:)

ill save making a plate for a 2a3 amp i wana make:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.