• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Filament voltage of PP2A3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've a question concerning the filament-hookup of my (future) PP2A3 amp.
Are there any disadvantages if I wire it like in my picture.
It's easier to find a 6V transformer than a 2.5V one.

On the other hand, if I rewind an 120VA toriod with 4 separate 2.5V/2.5A windings, what thickness of wire should I use ?

Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• vg2a3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 102
this idea almost would work.

obviously you'd know that ohms law dictates that the voltage is going to be split between your two series loads... as both loads identical, voltage will split evenly - so this is going to result it 3V per filament.

IF you want to do a seires hookup like this, then here's how to do it.

say your filamens draw 2A of current each, and they both need 2.5V... you have a suply of 6V, so split this will give 3V. Ideally you want 5V so when split this gives 2.5V... so, you want to drop the voltage by another 1V somehow, external to the filaments... so, use a series resistor. calculate value with ohm law...

EXAMPLE: you want a 1V drop, you have 2A current per filament, so total I draw is 4A.

R = V/I

R = 1/4

R = 0.25 ohms.

for power rating,

V(drop) = 1V, I = 4A

P = VI
P = 1 x 4 = 4W

hope this helps... if i'm wrong, someone correct me please.

cheers

Your series filament setup will "work", if the 5 VAC supply floats. The problem is you can't do anything about hum balance. You will have to rely on cancellation in the O/P trafo.

How much stuff have you already purchased? I ask as 6B4Gs are equivalent to 2A3s except for the 6.3 VAC filament and Octal base. Between individual balance pots and O/P trafo cancellation, you should have quite acceptable residual hum levels using 6B4Gs. 4 separate 6.3 VAC windings should be an off the shelf proposition.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
If you put 2A3 filaments in series then one cathode will be 2.5V adrift from the other. As a minimum, you need a 2.5V 10A winding (assuming stereo chassis). Next best, 2.5V 10A with centre tap. Neither of these alternatives allow you to measure cathode current easily. Next best, 4 x 2.5V 2.5A; this will allow you to monitor cathode current easily by adding a 1R resistor between each winding and HT 0V. Best, 4 2.5V 2.5A centre tapped; this allows current monitoring and gives minimum hum. If it has a foil electrostatic screen between primary and secondaries, so much the better. Maplin (UK) do a 100VA transformer kit onto which you could wind these secondaries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.