• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP2A3 amp options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi diyers,

i've been contemplating on making a PP 2A3 amp and i've been looing hard and long on this schematic for a month now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and i'm still looking because i don't have a source for the 6A6

duncan amp does not show viable alternatives so i'm pretty stuck. does any of you know what i can put in there?

or maybe i can convince frank (fdegrove) to post his PP 2A3 schema here :D

While it is not electrically equivalent but merely a good driver tube...

I would consider ECC99, 5687 or 6SN7...to name just a few...

However you would have to change the cathode resistor....(edit) Looks like you could just drop it in...after reading KYW's post. (With a different socket and hookup ofcourse)

So a good alternative would be to look at a different PP2A3 schematic.

Cheers,
Bas

Konnichiwa,

arnoldc said:
i've been contemplating on making a PP 2A3 amp and i've been looing hard and long on this schematic for a month now.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and i'm still looking because i don't have a source for the 6A6

As others have said, many different Valves can drop in there with no change. I'd personally take a hint from Dr. Arthur Loesch and use a 5687, with a suitable 56 or 76 as input or perhaps a 53. You find this kind of lineup (56/5687 especially) in the rightly highly acclaimed Loesch/Wiesner SE Amp's and the 56/53 lineup in their conversion of the Webster Theathre Amp's:

http://www.plasmatweeter.de/pp_amp.htm

Sayonara

hi guys,

uncle ned, thanks for the sub information. i plan to get some parts for other projects from you soon, while some of my colleagues are in the u.s.

kyw, 5687! perfect! i have a bunch of those and are not hard to find in the Philippines. if they do drop in then that's really ideal. as for the input tube, i have a bunch of 56s and 76s that i can use.

btw, the designer seems familiar... i think i've downloaded one of his schema before - a 56 DC'ed to 2A3. though i have not built it.

his PP 2A3 looks good to if i can find a 53 :xeye:

bas, thanks for the link. i checked them out and i'll also follow the progress.

when i grow up :smash: i will build the lynn olson amps :D

thanks to all :)

frank, you there? :D still interested to share your schema? ;) don't worry you don't have to, just tell me and i'll shut up :angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.