• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

XLR to 1/4" TRS?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Here's the thing...

I want to make a tube mic (Balanced XLR) preamp to use it with my souncard (Audigy 2 Platinum) but it doesn't have a XLR input, just 1/4" TRS (Stereo) or RCA (Stereo).

That makes aa XLR input in the preamp and a TRS output.

Is is possible to find something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Quote:I want to make a tube mic (Balanced XLR) preamp to use it with my souncard (Audigy 2 Platinum) but it doesn't have a XLR input, just 1/4" TRS (Stereo) or RCA (Stereo).

So if I understand you correctly you need an adapter that will take you from TRS on the soundcard to a XLR connector. Is this correct? If so there are adapters that can be purchased that will go from 1/4" to XLR female or 1/4" to XLR male connector. The major manufacturers of these adaptors are Switchcraft,Neutrix,and Cliff. They can be found in XLR male or female ot 1/4" male or female.

I must admit that I have never seen 1/4" on a soundcard only 1/8" connectors or RCA's. If this is the case and you need to adapt from 1/8 to 1/4 " there are parts available to do this.

Joe

It can easily be done, but the 1/4 trs is probably a high z input, while the preamps output will be low z. You will just need an impedance matching transformer to keep everything happy and then a "y" to split the new high z signal between the two channels of the 1/4 trs input.

Ok, I overlooked (too early in the morning) the fact the preamp was low Z out and the sound card was Hi Z in. Yup, you should use a matching transformer like a 600 ohm to 15K. It might drive it fine without the transformer and I would surely try it first before dropping around $90. for a good transformer. On the other hand you will probably need it for issolation as a nasty hum will most surely result without it.

I would recommend checking the web for a used Altec transformer or a Sescom. I could provide the numbers if needed. they should be able to be picked up for around $40 used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.