• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube rectified preamp schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pls. recommend an ideal schematic for a tube rectified preamp (line stage only) that should work very good with rotel 1075 ss amp. They say a foreplay circuit should work fine but i dont have the circuitly. Would appreciate your help? Thanks alot!

The Foreplay is relatively high gain. SS power amps "typically" have a sensitivity of less than 2 V. for full power. That means the O/P of a CDP will drive the amp into clipping. So, you need a buffered volume control with approx. unity gain.

A "simple" cathode follower fills the requirement. A thread discussing this subject appeared on this "board" quite recently.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

A thread discussing this subject appeared on this "board" quite recently.

This one you mean?

GAVIN'S 5687 FOLLOWER

A little bit of self-promotion never hurt anyone...so:

TUBE RECTUMFRIER A LA RIGUEUR...

The linestage is a White Cathode Follower preceded by a volume control...
That one can drive a SS amp input impedance and a mile of I/C cable...so to speak...Just what the doctor ordered.

Cheers,;)

G

Joined 2002
Here you go.

Attachments

• 5687 buffer(small).gif
    5687 buffer(small).gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 509
The O/P impedance of a cathode follower is approximately = to the reciprocal of the tube's transconductance (gm). The 5687 has a high gm; therefore, it has a low O/P impedance when wired as a cathode follower.

Voltage follower amplifiers: cathode (tube), source (FET), and emitter (BJT) have a high I/P impedance and a low O/P impedance. The voltage gain is slightly less than unity. The power (current) gain is considerable, as the "same" voltage that exists in the high impedance I/P circuit also exists in the low impedance O/P circuit.

My ss amp has an input impedance of 33k ohms, what will be the ideal output impedance of the tube preamp? Some forums state that for this range of ss amp the ideal should be no more than 200 ohms for the preamp. Will it affect the sound quality if the preamp output goes below 50 ohms or 100 ohms?

I will be using 12au7 and 5v4 tubes & my chioces are national & hitachi, which do you recommend to be the best choice?

Thanks!!!

In the small signal situation, a driving unit should have a low O/P impedance and a driven unit should have a high impedance. The rule of thumb is that the driven unit's I/P impedance be at least 10X the O/P impedance of the driving unit.

Your power amp has a 33 KOhm I/P impedance. The unit driving it should have an O/P impedance < 3.3 KOhms. The O/P impedance of a 12AU7 cathode follower is under 1 KOhm; so, you should be fine.

Select a "low and hot" operating point. Relatively high plate current provides for better drive of interconnect cable capacitance and the I/P capacitance of the power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.