oxygen free interconnects - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2004, 03:54 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
This is all well understood. My point all along has been that there are audible differences between OCCC, silver, and "run of the mill" copper.
Don't know about audible. Again, we're talking about stuff buried in the thermal noise of the wire. Which itself is buried in the numerous other noise sources of the electronics, which is buried in the ambient noise of our listening rooms.

Certainly people perceive differences, and have their particular tastes and preferences. And that's cool. That's what I ultimately go with at the end of the day. As I said previously, I'm not much of a fan of silver. I don't know why exactly but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with silver's electrical properties.

se
Old 9th June 2004, 08:58 AM   #32
shugg is offline shugg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to shugg
Guys

Thanks for the replies very informative, I don't want to spend mad money on connects, guess I'll start off by visiting the site rentiap mentioned.
The dealer here says that I should spend at least 600 per pair of interconnects and he said it with a straight face.
We have a maplins electrical store here so I'll see what they have.
Thanks again.

cheers
shugg
Old 9th June 2004, 03:33 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shugg
We have a maplins electrical store here so I'll see what they have.
Shugg, as another suggestion, you could purchase a small roll of teflon coated silver wire from:

http://www.a-msystems.com/electronic...silvertef.aspx

Looks like they currently have sale prices!
Old 9th June 2004, 03:56 PM   #34
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by shugg
The dealer here says that I should spend at least 600 per pair of interconnects and he said it with a straight face.
I imagine I could say all sorts of things with a straight face if my commission was involved!

If you want to go for silver, it is far cheaper to go to a precious metals dealer and buy "fine" silver (99.99% pure) in wire form, then post it down PTFE tubing. You will need to club together with a few friends because the dealer will want to sell you a couple of kg of silver, but it's far cheaper in the end.

I like silver because you get super soldered joints. I suspect that's why it sounds better, not because of any bulk conductive properties.
Old 9th June 2004, 06:00 PM   #35
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't know about audible. Again, we're talking about stuff buried in the thermal noise of the wire. Which itself is buried in the numerous other noise sources of the electronics, which is buried in the ambient noise of our listening rooms.
Quote:
Certainly people perceive differences, and have their particular tastes and preferences. And that's cool. That's what I ultimately go with at the end of the day. As I said previously, I'm not much of a fan of silver. I don't know why exactly but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with silver's electrical properties.
I am going to relate my own personal experience and it's going to involve some name-dropping.

When John Camille and Dennis Boyle were developing Camille's 211 shunt-regulated power amp some years ago, I would go in for a listen now and then. One day Dennis said they had changed something and asked if I could hear a difference. I'm no golden-ear, but the system sounded more detailed with a perceptably more realistic three-dimensional effect (I hate to use the term soundstage). All they had done was replace the wire with OCCC. I didn't believe that changing the wire in the signal path could make a difference and I went aound telling people I thought it was just b***s**t.

Anyway, I was later talking to Camille (who knew more than a little bit about noise in a circuit) about it and he explained to me that he thought that the oxygen in copper migrated into the interstices of the grain structure and the copper oxide rectified the weakest part of the signal. So in a word, long crystal copper wire was to a MUSIC SIGNAL similar to silver, jumpier was the word he used. Now, Camille expressed to me that he wasn't sure that it was such a good thing, which may explain your own personal distaste for silver.

That's all I know.

John
Old 9th June 2004, 06:18 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
When John Camille and Dennis Boyle were developing Camille's 211 shunt-regulated power amp some years ago, I would go in for a listen now and then.
John, do you, or does anyone, know where I might find a copy of the 1993 (?) Sound Practices article describing this amplifier? Sorry to veer off topic, but I'm interested seeing the shunt regulator circuit.

Tom
Old 9th June 2004, 07:16 PM   #37
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Their shunt reulator was adopted and developed by Allen Wright. I'm fairly sure these circuits are on the web, but I can't put my hand on the link.
Old 9th June 2004, 07:20 PM   #38
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Tom,

I'll scan and e-mail it to you.

Cheers,
Old 9th June 2004, 07:50 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
I'll scan and e-mail it to you.
Thank you much, Frank.