oxygen free interconnects - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2004, 02:34 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jlsem
I'd like to see this.
The precisely controlled addition of oxygen scavenges impurities and takes them out of solution and into solid form which improves conductivity.

Oxygen-free copper was developed not for its electrical properties, but its mechanical properties. If oxygenated copper is heated in a reducing atmosphere such as hydrogen, the copper can become embrittled due to the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen (can you say steam?).

Even the Ohno Continuous Cast Copper was developed for its mechanical properties and not its electrical properties.

I haven't seen any evidence that there's anything electrically wrong with even plain ol' ETP copper that wouldn't be so far buried within the thermal noise of the wire itself that it's not woth losing any sleep over.

What people ultimately subjectively prefer is another matter.

se
Old 9th June 2004, 02:35 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default DIY interconnects

Hello shugg.
I can't comment on oxygen free interconnects but I do have alot of experinnce building interconnects( And PCs.) as per Chris Venhaus websight. http://venhaus1.com/
I have built many pairs for myself and for friends.
We have done completely blind tests and can very easily hear the difference between these and verry expensive interconnects.They actually leave the others in the dust. We feel that they are well worth the effort and minimal expense. my first sets I built around cotton rope but I feel the teflon tubing stuffed with cotton are better. The cost for a 3 foot pair or 1 meter pair are approx $60.00 If you have any questions on construction feel free to e-mail me.

Regards.
Craig
Old 9th June 2004, 02:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hmmm...It was looking way too good to be true anyway.
Hehehe. Oh I dunno. I suppose you could get yourself a few bags of cotton balls and string some wire through them. You know, like that garland made of popcorn for Christmas trees.

Quote:
Occasionally I did find sticking cottonballs in my ears improved the sound markedly...
Hehehe. Yes, I've encountered a few situations like that myself.

Quote:
Thx for the update,
Sure. When I get some time I'll start making some calls and see if I can get a more definitive answer.

se
Old 9th June 2004, 02:43 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Re: DIY interconnects

Quote:
Originally posted by rentiap
my first sets I built around cotton rope but I feel the teflon tubing stuffed with cotton are better. The cost for a 3 foot pair or 1 meter pair are approx $60.00
Have you seen the cotton served solid core silver wire that Chris is now selling on the VH Audio site yet?

se
Old 9th June 2004, 02:53 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: DIY interconnects

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

Have you seen the cotton served solid core silver wire that Chris is now selling on the VH Audio site yet?

se
Hey Steve;
Yes I've seen it but havn't tried it as of yet.
How much better can these ICs get?
--
Craig
Old 9th June 2004, 03:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: DIY interconnects

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

se
Have you used it? and if so do you notice a difference ?
--

--
Craig.
Old 9th June 2004, 03:14 AM   #27
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quotes from Chris Venhaus' site:

Quote:
* Ultra-low capacitance (there is a direct correlation with capacitance and signal rise-time, with interconnects)
I absolutely agree but there's an easier solution than spiraling to maintain low capacitance and reasonable inductance figures. Simply use a twinfeed arrangement as I did in a range of silver I/Cs I designed aeons ago.

Quote:
* Fine gauge (28 ga) cotton-insulated silver wire to minimize skin-effect/time-smear and dielectric absorption, and maximize vibration dampening.
DA may be disappointing in real life but O.K., there's more to a good cable than that alone. Cotton seems to have good damping properties. I used nylon shreds as a filler.

Quote:
A dielectric as close to "air" as can be obtained, and yet be practical. Cotton has a dielectric constant of 1.3-1.4 vs. 2.0-2.1 for teflon.
Well, the DC factor seems mostly based on the properties of air as an insulator anyway...What is it going to sound like after a while in harsh environments after a few years?
You could always seal the lot and make it more or less gastight, that should keep it from further contamination.

All in all I think there's a lot to be said for PTFE and enamellike insulators.
Those magnet wires always end up surprising me with good sound...

Quote:
I have been contacted by a gentleman who made these IC's (he also had an L/C meter) and he measured the capacitance at 3.5 pF per foot, and 200 mH of total inductance! The results were obtained by using a 100k Ohm load on one end of the IC, and the reading taken at the other end.
Looks O.K. to me but such measurements don't tell me much about the cables' ability to pass a complex signal unaltered under various loads. Nevertheless it's good to know those electrical properties.

Might cobble up something similar to CV's idea when I find some time...

Cheers,
Old 9th June 2004, 03:42 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: DIY interconnects

Quote:
Yes I've seen it but havn't tried it as of yet.
How much better can these ICs get?
Dunno. You'll have to answer that question for yourself I'm afraid.

se
Old 9th June 2004, 03:50 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: DIY interconnects

Quote:
Have you used it? and if so do you notice a difference ?
No, I haven't used it. I'm just not much of a fan of silver (though I do have a fondness for natural materials). I just think it's a nice unique product that I'm sure could provide excellent results for those whose tastes lean more toward silver and think it deserves bringing to their attention.

se
Old 9th June 2004, 04:03 AM   #30
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oxygen-free copper was developed not for its electrical properties, but its mechanical properties.
Quote:
Even the Ohno Continuous Cast Copper was developed for its mechanical properties and not its electrical properties.
This is all well understood. My point all along has been that there are audible differences between OCCC, silver, and "run of the mill" copper. That is the happy side benefit for audiophiles of the development of ever purer grades of copper be it originally for mechanical or electrical improvement. Almost every technological development that we take advantage of in our endeavor was done for some other reason. Hardly any tubes were originally "audio" tubes and the inventors of different transformer-core alloys never had wierdo golden-ears in mind, etc.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!