• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

oxygen free interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jlsem said:
I'd like to see this.

The precisely controlled addition of oxygen scavenges impurities and takes them out of solution and into solid form which improves conductivity.

Oxygen-free copper was developed not for its electrical properties, but its mechanical properties. If oxygenated copper is heated in a reducing atmosphere such as hydrogen, the copper can become embrittled due to the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen (can you say steam?).

Even the Ohno Continuous Cast Copper was developed for its mechanical properties and not its electrical properties.

I haven't seen any evidence that there's anything electrically wrong with even plain ol' ETP copper that wouldn't be so far buried within the thermal noise of the wire itself that it's not woth losing any sleep over.

What people ultimately subjectively prefer is another matter.

se

DIY interconnects

Hello shugg.
I can't comment on oxygen free interconnects but I do have alot of experinnce building interconnects( And PCs.) as per Chris Venhaus websight. http://venhaus1.com/
I have built many pairs for myself and for friends.
We have done completely blind tests and can very easily hear the difference between these and verry expensive interconnects.They actually leave the others in the dust. We feel that they are well worth the effort and minimal expense. my first sets I built around cotton rope but I feel the teflon tubing stuffed with cotton are better. The cost for a 3 foot pair or 1 meter pair are approx $60.00 If you have any questions on construction feel free to e-mail me.

Regards.
Craig

fdegrove said:
Hmmm...It was looking way too good to be true anyway.

Hehehe. Oh I dunno. I suppose you could get yourself a few bags of cotton balls and string some wire through them. You know, like that garland made of popcorn for Christmas trees. :)

Occasionally I did find sticking cottonballs in my ears improved the sound markedly...:D

Hehehe. Yes, I've encountered a few situations like that myself. :)

Thx for the update,;)

Sure. When I get some time I'll start making some calls and see if I can get a more definitive answer.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Quotes from Chris Venhaus' site:

* Ultra-low capacitance (there is a direct correlation with capacitance and signal rise-time, with interconnects)

I absolutely agree but there's an easier solution than spiraling to maintain low capacitance and reasonable inductance figures. Simply use a twinfeed arrangement as I did in a range of silver I/Cs I designed aeons ago.

* Fine gauge (28 ga) cotton-insulated silver wire to minimize skin-effect/time-smear and dielectric absorption, and maximize vibration dampening.

DA may be disappointing in real life but O.K., there's more to a good cable than that alone. Cotton seems to have good damping properties. I used nylon shreds as a filler.

A dielectric as close to "air" as can be obtained, and yet be practical. Cotton has a dielectric constant of 1.3-1.4 vs. 2.0-2.1 for teflon.

Well, the DC factor seems mostly based on the properties of air as an insulator anyway...What is it going to sound like after a while in harsh environments after a few years?
You could always seal the lot and make it more or less gastight, that should keep it from further contamination.

All in all I think there's a lot to be said for PTFE and enamellike insulators.
Those magnet wires always end up surprising me with good sound...

I have been contacted by a gentleman who made these IC's (he also had an L/C meter) and he measured the capacitance at 3.5 pF per foot, and 200 mH of total inductance! The results were obtained by using a 100k Ohm load on one end of the IC, and the reading taken at the other end.

Looks O.K. to me but such measurements don't tell me much about the cables' ability to pass a complex signal unaltered under various loads. Nevertheless it's good to know those electrical properties.

Might cobble up something similar to CV's idea when I find some time...

Cheers,;)

Re: Re: Re: DIY interconnects

rentiap said:
Have you used it? and if so do you notice a difference ?

No, I haven't used it. I'm just not much of a fan of silver (though I do have a fondness for natural materials). I just think it's a nice unique product that I'm sure could provide excellent results for those whose tastes lean more toward silver and think it deserves bringing to their attention.

se

Oxygen-free copper was developed not for its electrical properties, but its mechanical properties.

Even the Ohno Continuous Cast Copper was developed for its mechanical properties and not its electrical properties.

This is all well understood. My point all along has been that there are audible differences between OCCC, silver, and "run of the mill" copper. That is the happy side benefit for audiophiles of the development of ever purer grades of copper be it originally for mechanical or electrical improvement. Almost every technological development that we take advantage of in our endeavor was done for some other reason. Hardly any tubes were originally "audio" tubes and the inventors of different transformer-core alloys never had wierdo golden-ears in mind, etc.

John

jlsem said:
This is all well understood. My point all along has been that there are audible differences between OCCC, silver, and "run of the mill" copper.

Don't know about audible. Again, we're talking about stuff buried in the thermal noise of the wire. Which itself is buried in the numerous other noise sources of the electronics, which is buried in the ambient noise of our listening rooms.

Certainly people perceive differences, and have their particular tastes and preferences. And that's cool. That's what I ultimately go with at the end of the day. As I said previously, I'm not much of a fan of silver. I don't know why exactly but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with silver's electrical properties.

se

Guys

Thanks for the replies very informative, I don't want to spend mad money on connects, guess I'll start off by visiting the site rentiap mentioned.
The dealer here says that I should spend at least £600 per pair of interconnects:eek: and he said it with a straight face.
We have a maplins electrical store here so I'll see what they have.
Thanks again.:)

cheers
shugg

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
shugg said:
The dealer here says that I should spend at least £600 per pair of interconnects:eek: and he said it with a straight face.

I imagine I could say all sorts of things with a straight face if my commission was involved!

If you want to go for silver, it is far cheaper to go to a precious metals dealer and buy "fine" silver (99.99% pure) in wire form, then post it down PTFE tubing. You will need to club together with a few friends because the dealer will want to sell you a couple of kg of silver, but it's far cheaper in the end.

I like silver because you get super soldered joints. I suspect that's why it sounds better, not because of any bulk conductive properties.

Don't know about audible. Again, we're talking about stuff buried in the thermal noise of the wire. Which itself is buried in the numerous other noise sources of the electronics, which is buried in the ambient noise of our listening rooms.

Certainly people perceive differences, and have their particular tastes and preferences. And that's cool. That's what I ultimately go with at the end of the day. As I said previously, I'm not much of a fan of silver. I don't know why exactly but I'm pretty sure it has absolutely nothing to do with silver's electrical properties.

I am going to relate my own personal experience and it's going to involve some name-dropping.

When John Camille and Dennis Boyle were developing Camille's 211 shunt-regulated power amp some years ago, I would go in for a listen now and then. One day Dennis said they had changed something and asked if I could hear a difference. I'm no golden-ear, but the system sounded more detailed with a perceptably more realistic three-dimensional effect (I hate to use the term soundstage). All they had done was replace the wire with OCCC. I didn't believe that changing the wire in the signal path could make a difference and I went aound telling people I thought it was just b***s**t.

Anyway, I was later talking to Camille (who knew more than a little bit about noise in a circuit) about it and he explained to me that he thought that the oxygen in copper migrated into the interstices of the grain structure and the copper oxide rectified the weakest part of the signal. So in a word, long crystal copper wire was to a MUSIC SIGNAL similar to silver, jumpier was the word he used. Now, Camille expressed to me that he wasn't sure that it was such a good thing, which may explain your own personal distaste for silver.

That's all I know.

John

jlsem said:
When John Camille and Dennis Boyle were developing Camille's 211 shunt-regulated power amp some years ago, I would go in for a listen now and then.

John, do you, or does anyone, know where I might find a copy of the 1993 (?) Sound Practices article describing this amplifier? Sorry to veer off topic, but I'm interested seeing the shunt regulator circuit.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.