• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Brimar ECC81

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I friend of mine who was moving abroad gave me a box of approx 100 Brimar ECC81 valves tht he picked up in a car boot sale years ago. I know practically nothing about valves but am keen to make a few circuits with them, maybe a phono preamp. Are these valves suitable? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

tuathal

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hey, I'd say that with a hundred of them for free, they're ideal for anything!

If you were really keen you could make an entire amplifier solely out of ECC81. It's not as linear as some valves, but it has good mutual conductance and a useful anode dissipation, so you could make an RIAA stage using them, a cathode follower line stage (if needed). Power amplifier could use common cathode input stage DC coupled to concertina phase splitter feeding six triodes per side with a 4ka-a output transformer ought to be good for 5W. A stereo amplifier would ths use about 22 ECC81, so you've plenty for a revalve. For more power, simply parallel more ECC81 in the output stage, although you'd probably need to drive them from cathode followers because of the increased Miller capacitance.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

A stereo amplifier would ths use about 22 ECC81, so you've plenty for a revalve.

Not related to Tim de paravicini by any chance?

David Manley of VTL used (abused;) ) the AT7 extensively in phono pre's, input valves, splitters etc....

Lucky you, Brimars and a box of a hundred too...equals the lottery in my valvebook.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.