What are the requirements for driving a 300B? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 03:30 PM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What are the requirements for driving a 300B?

How much gain and current is needed to drive a 300B? I would like to try it with a 7044 in one stage if possible.
Old 2nd June 2004, 04:38 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on your operating point. You want to be able to swing something more than the standing cathode-to-grid voltage for class A or AB1. You want a source impedance low enough to keep the rolloff from the time constant (pole) formed by the driver source impedance and the input capacitance of the 300B at least a decade higher than the dominant pole. If you're running the 300B in a greater-than-unity-gain output stage, be sure to account for the Miller input capacitance, too.

Bottom line: the 7044 will do just fine in an appropriate circuit.
Old 2nd June 2004, 05:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
I don't know what a 7044 is but a 300B takes about 40 (actually I haven't seen a circuit this low) to maybe 80V peak drive. To run from a .25Vp signal source you'll need as much as 160 gain. This can only be done in one stage with a pentode. Typical circuits use a 12AX7 (I wouldn't, not much drive capacity), an 'AX and a low-gain, high output driver, or two 6SN7 stages.

Tim
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:07 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
To run from a .25Vp signal source you'll need as much as 160 gain.
That's an unusually high sensitivity. 1.5 to 2.5 volts rms is more common.
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Ya... just overestimating to give the maximum amount needed. Of course, double that once or twice if you want NFB (typically not done to triode amps, certainly not 300B's )

Tim
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What are the requirements for driving a 300B?

Quote:
Originally posted by G
How much gain and current is needed to drive a 300B? I would like to try it with a 7044 in one stage if possible.
300B power triode (not European version of this) has very low input capacitance. If you'll made some (one) driver stage in SRPP - something like this

Click the image to open in full size. (see only the input/driver stage) with the valves lika 12AX7, 12AT7 or 12AU7 (sonding are these a lot of different options), you'll get a good sound, enough gain,....

It isn't neccessary to find some exotic drivers. Some of good 12Ax7 like Sylvania (5751) or Mullard,... are enough exotic choice..

A lot of informations you can see on www.hinedfi.com (USA/ENG site) in the next days.

Sound of 300B design often depent a lot on primary/secunary relation of output transformer....
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It isn't neccessary to find some exotic drivers. Some of good 12Ax7 like Sylvania (5751) or Mullard,... are enough exotic choice
I would respectfully disagree but i can't, driving a 300B with a 12AX7 is outright hilarious! A lot of the undeserved bad rap the 300B gets is due to inadequate, anaemic drivers.

I recently heard it driven by a 2A3 - it had unusual power, dynamics and surprisingly - bass.
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A lot of the undeserved bad rap the 300B gets is due to inadequate, anaemic drivers.
Mu followers built from 6BM8s as the 300B driver have some popularity. It's not difficult to see why. Plenty of gain combined with good drive capability is never bad. The triode in the 6BM8 is essentially 1/2 a 12AT7.

A Gary Pimm style CCS load, with its built in mu follower, allows you latitude in the choice of gain triode. The 6n1p, the 12AV7, and the 6J6 are possible candidates. IIRC, GP indicated that the pentode (6AU6)/FET variation of his CCS is particularly good sounding in front of a power triode "final".
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

A lot of money for one.
Old 2nd June 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I recently heard it driven by a 2A3 - it had unusual power, dynamics and surprisingly - bass.
I've heard it being driven by a 12ax7 ....bass was best I ever heard....EVER.

Just the high's were a bit ragged.

Hide this!Advertise here!