900v. 100ma. Power supply for 813 tube amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 04:12 PM   #1
noyan is offline noyan  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to noyan
Default 900v. 100ma. Power supply for 813 tube amplifier

I need to make a power supply unit for my new project. I will build a 813 SE Ultralinear amplifier. It needs 900v, 100ma. I attached this shematic suitable for up to 450v. How can i revise it up to 1000v ? Can you offer me which Fet and transistor can be use for this reason? Noyan
Attached Images
File Type: gif ciuff4.gif (4.6 KB, 858 views)
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid you can't just scale a circuit up from 280V to 900V. There are a great deal more safety issues with 900V, and frankly, if you don't know about them, you shouldn't be considering building an amplifier using a 900V supply. With 900V you only have to be unlucky once...
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default 900V i like to deal with difficult things!

Thank you very much for your reply! I am understaning your concern very well. I am affraid to work with 900v too. This high voltage is very dangerious But, this shematic is working very well and there is no hum. No need any expensive and big choke transformer. If i use bux98 transistor in this circuit than i can get safely 450v. I can build two of them and serial it makes me 900volts. Is it meanful or not for you?
Old 3rd June 2004, 10:51 AM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can stack one supply on top of another (this was very common in Tek oscilloscopes). Everything on the upper supply is now at a dangerous voltage. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:05 PM   #5
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 900v. 100ma. Power supply for 813 tube amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by noyan
I need to make a power supply unit for my new project. I will build a 813 SE Ultralinear amplifier. It needs 900v, 100ma. I attached this shematic suitable for up to 450v. How can i revise it up to 1000v ? Can you offer me which Fet and transistor can be use for this reason? Noyan
Hello ,
900V , 100mA ? I would use valve rectifiers such as the filamentary U19 and dampers like the EY500A/PY500A/6D22S , which offer a slow start . Both of these can be used with CLC supples . Choke input supplies for 900V are a little , well , scary !

cheers

316a
Old 3rd June 2004, 12:05 PM   #6
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I think there is an 813 SE schematic available online that employs a regulated supply. Microprocessor controlled PSU, if I remember it right.
Search and thou shalt find.

In my 813 amp IŽll use tube rectifiers and chokes, partly because I donŽt want to mess with 900V regulators.

Assembling the Mosfet on the heatsink (which I assume is necessary) with proper insulation will be an issue for you.
Old 3rd June 2004, 01:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

90 watts isn't a lot to control -- I would recommend that you voltage regulate the PRIMARY of the HV transformer -- you can do this in a variety of ways -- i.e. with an amplifier driven by a sine wave generator (don't forget the automatic gain control, and don't forget to use an opto-isolator in the feedback loop.)

you can probably pump up the frequency of the sine oscillator to a few hundred hertz with an ordinary transformer. this allows smaller filtering capacitors on the output.

when dealing with high voltages you must make sure that the transformer is rated for its purpose -- don't do something like doubling the primary voltage of a 400VCT with a back to back transformer (110:12.6::6.3:220) -- the insulation will break down. Fair Radio Sales in Lima OH has HV transformers.

also -- the wiring in the power supply must be rated for about 15% more than the voltage you seek to derive --
Old 3rd June 2004, 02:47 PM   #8
Jax is offline Jax  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm not going to use regulated HV in my triode strapped 813 SE. I already have transformers with 685V AC with a 655V AC tap and intend to use a bridge rectifier with 1N4007, 3 in series in each leg with snubbers. This will feed a CLC filter with a rather low value of the first C.

The bias supply will also be unregulated so mains variations will not move the operating point around too much.
Old 3rd June 2004, 02:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default 900v. big trouble!

Yes, i know that shematic but micropresessor controlled power supply unit is too complex. This shematic is impressed me because it has no hum and so simple to do. Please see spec of BUX98A. 900v voltage is so high but ONLY 90 watt for per channel, BUX98A is looking suitable for this use. Any comments? If you say again no, than i am offering to use two main transformers and make two unit of this circuit. I will have 2 times let's say 450 volts. When i connect them together in serial i will have 900v. is it not wright? Where i am making mistake?
Thanks all
Old 3rd June 2004, 03:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default another question

I am planning to use torroidal power supply transformers seperately for each cannel. Which is better if i use mains transformer which gives me HV and LV together or i must use seperated transformers for HL and LV ?

Hide this!Advertise here!