• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chinese new 845

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No mica @ the top!
Similar with early Amperex 845

Attachments

• f845b4.jpg
    f845b4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,113
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
What does this thread tell us? It looks dangerously like advertising. Making a valve with a pretty appearance is not the important thing.

I'm afraid Chinese valves don't have a very good reputation, as I can attest from first hand. Ten years ago, I bought some Shuguang EL34 and they were rubbish. They lasted six months of light use before their emission fell to 30%. Last weekend, I tested eight EL34 branded Chelmer but of identical appearance to the Shuguang. These EL34 had also had light use but the envelope was stained and their emission was almost non-existent.

I'm afraid Chinese valves don't have a very good reputation, as I can attest from first hand.

There are some interesting cultural issues at play, I think. One thing that really struck me during my visits to China (and Taiwan, HK, Singapore) was how much more important appearance and prestige were valued relative to performance, reliability, and sound. At a show I went to in Taipei, the big deal was the fit and finish of the metalwork and the status of the brand, not innovative or high-performance circuitry.

After the rather clinical and efficient gutting by EC8010, I would declare this to be a quite futile ad.

Russian and Chinese valves have come a long way recently. It would be futile to dismiss them off hand on the basis of stuff made a decade ago.

An example is the old russian 6SN7 - rubbish indeed. The new EH 6SN7....looks a whole lot better and by some early reports IS a whole lot better.

I personally don't think that Yu is benefitting from the ads...but that some national pride is the driving force for his shilling.

Cheers,
Bas

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'm glad to see more good tubes coming out of China. :)

I'd love to have an amp built around broadcast triodes, since they sound great and look, well... :drool: But it'll be a while before my skills are at the point where I can bring myself anywhere near the voltages needed to get these tubes to sing. :skull:

It's a well written review, but as far as these 845's are concerned, I need to mention that these are review samples and the first batch. Let's see what the quality will be like six months to a year from now. ;)

SY said:

There are some interesting cultural issues at play, I think. One thing that really struck me during my visits to China (and Taiwan, HK, Singapore) was how much more important appearance and prestige were valued relative to performance, reliability, and sound.

Although if you spend some time living here you will find there is a thriving community of audiophiles and DIY people. In all countries you will find people who value appearance over innards - B&O, Bose sell really well in US and Europe for instance - and the Asian countries are just the same. You also get a reverse sonbbery here, with many audiophiles positively striving to prove they can produce the sonic superiors of "elite" brands because they consider a lot of the US and European stuff massively overpriced for what it does. Come here, hunt in some of the backstreet stores and see what people are doing - you would be quite pleasantly surprised (as I have been).

EC8010 said:
Last weekend, I tested eight EL34 branded Chelmer but of identical appearance to the Shuguang. These EL34 had also had light use but the envelope was stained and their emission was almost non-existent.

Hi there.........this is unusual for chelmer....I've had some for years in service and emission still holds up.. ..When you mean <stained> I presume this is the slight silvering that occurs on the glass after a burn in ? I've been using some bomb proof CV9167 (MIL ECL82's) for years and now some parts of the glass envelope are completely silvered....can't see nowt wrong with this....just some surplus emission scattering off ?.

.....rich

Firstly, NOS is not always available.

I am just so glad the quality of the Chinese tubes are improving from day to day.

Sooner or later, I believe the Chinese and Russian tube factories could produce tubes superior than the NOS.

Without the new comers, the tube audio will become the dead end.

Johnny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.