• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE UL OT - primary wired in reverse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all,

i want to design a SE amp with different tube types in the output stage.

because i'm a 17 year old high school kid, money's not something i'm going to claim to have a lot of... so custom tranny winds is out of the quesion for me, unless for a really good price... so what i was thinking, was in a SE UL tranny, is it alright to wire the primary in reverse, so the 40% UL tap becomes a 60% tap??? or is there a certain way the tranny is wound and so it is best to use it this way? will this change the reflected impedance (in a multi-tap secondary this is) becuase it changes the magnetic orientation, or something, and therefore will mean say, in a tranny with a 16,8,4 ohm taps, we still get 16 ohm as the value to use on 16 ohm tap for correct reflected imp, but the 8 and 4 ohm taps are now different????

i wanted to know this, because for example, in a tranny with a 5k primary, using the 40% tap will only be a 800ohm primary, which is pretty much unusable... well, ok, it's useable, especially with a number of tubes in parallel, but it's not practical for what i want... and anyway, you don't want to go paralleling a lot of tubes in a SE amp anyway.. it's just false economy.

On the other hand though, if put in reverse, then the 40% tap becaome 60%, and this gives a 1800ohm primary, which is useable.

thanks, any help apreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.