simple tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2004, 09:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default simple tube amp

can anybody tell me what I would need (parts and design) to build a very simple tube amp?
Old 22nd May 2004, 07:43 PM   #2
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

If this is your first amp I would buy the Zen amp kit. The kit cost $399 and comes complete with tubes and a comprehensive set of instructions and a lot of valuable advice and help through the zen forum. The sound is very nice. It would be a good starting point. You will gain some practical building experience and stand a good chance of success and satisfaction. It is an excellent deal. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm
Old 22nd May 2004, 11:49 PM   #3
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Good first amp

If you don't mind going the kit route I recommend the kit made by S5 Electronics. A full stereo tube amp kit for $139 plus shipping. It can be driven directly by a CD player, tuner or cassette deck. Of course a turntable would require a phono preamp.

I built one of these and it sounds great. Output is about 8 or 9 watts max per channel (about 4.5 WRMS). The basic kit doesn't include any sort of chassis other than an oak board to mount the components on (which I considered a plus as I was able to make my own wood box/aluminum top chassis). An optional metal chassis with smoked acrylic panel (so you can see the tubes) is around $85 I think.

Look here- http://www.s5electronics.com/gpage1.html for more info. BTW there are other online companies selling these kits including at least one that sells monoblock kits for $89 each.

(I have no association with any of these companies except as a satisfied kit builder.)
Old 23rd May 2004, 03:59 PM   #4
hkoetz is offline hkoetz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Check out this link.

www.lh-electric.4t.com/projects/tiny3w.htm

I just built a stereo amp with 2 of the kits. I used the conventional power supply. I am very satisfied with its performance.

Henk
Old 23rd May 2004, 04:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i also want to have my own diy tube amp. 5w- 15w using simple circuit will do. or can anyone send me email step by step procedure creating a tube amp with pictures and parts... bridgebolt@yahoo.com

thanks to all!!!
Old 23rd May 2004, 11:25 PM   #6
chrish is online now chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Reading "G's" advice, I had a look at the Zen link and the forums. Looks like the kind of project I have been looking for. Anyone had experience with this kit? I have built a pair of Lynn Olsen Ariel speakers, has anyone tried this amp with them?

Thanks for the input!

Chris
Old 24th May 2004, 01:42 AM   #7
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hkoetz
Check out this link.

www.lh-electric.4t.com/projects/tiny3w.htm

I just built a stereo amp with 2 of the kits. I used the conventional power supply. I am very satisfied with its performance.

Henk

Henk,
Did you use a preamp with them or wire in the pot as supplied with the kit? I've also been looking at them but would go the DIY route rather than purchasing the kit. I was thinking of using them with a preamp, either Bottlehead Foreplay or even the pre listed on that same site.
Old 24th May 2004, 03:15 AM   #8
Jhovis is offline Jhovis  United States
diyAudio Member

As Sherman said, the S5 is a good inexpensive amp to start with. I have two of the S5 monoblocks www.tubesandmore.com I haven't had time to build a set of high efficiency speakers to go with them. I have a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp on order but they take 6-wks to get www.bottlehead.com The S5 amps can be assembled in an hour. As Sherman said, it comes with a PC board and then a wood board to mount it on. I also built two wood cases for mine and used a door kick plate from Home Depot for the top chassis.
Old 24th May 2004, 12:14 PM   #9
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Chris
Quote:
Reading "G's" advice, I had a look at the Zen link and the forums. Looks like the kind of project I have been looking for. Anyone had experience with this kit? I have built a pair of Lynn Olsen Ariel speakers, has anyone tried this amp with them?
Chris,
I had the Zenamp for testing a little while ago, and they definitely sound very good. Resolution and imaging was much better than my Onix monos, they only lack a little oomph in the lower registers.
But even with your 90dB Ariels I'm afraid they will have not enough power, on my 95 dB OB's with vintage Telefunken they couldn't manage to go very loud, unless you are happy with modest listening levels. They also benefit from an even impedance curve of your loudspeakers...

Enjoy,
Oliver
Old 24th May 2004, 03:37 PM   #10
hkoetz is offline hkoetz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you use a preamp with them or wire in the pot as supplied with the kit? I've also been looking at them but would go the DIY route rather than purchasing the kit. I was thinking of using them with a preamp, either Bottlehead Foreplay or even the pre listed on that same site.
I wired in the pot and it is sensitive enough for my CD player (200 mV).

It is not realy a kit but more a set of parts.

Henk

Hide this!Advertise here!