• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 or 6v6 or something else?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This will be my first hifi tube project, I have a lot of experience building guitar amps and repairing tube stuff.
I've got two hammond 125E transformers and two power transformers (230V/120mA, 6.3V 4A). The hammond is rated at 15W and has many primary impedances: 1k2 to 20K.
Now I'm planning to build two monoblocks for use wit my B&W DM4. These are bookshelf speakers with a sensitivity of "4.8 watts into nominal impedance (i.e 6.2 volts) for a sound pressure of 95dB
pink noise at 1 metre". Power handling is 25W
The DM4 are used with a subwoofer, so frequency response below 80Hz is not so inportant.
I still have to choose some tubes. I want to use a 6SN7 in the preamp, but can't decide what to get for the power amp. It should be a tube with a good availability like EL84(6bq5), 6V6, SV83, ECL82 (6BM8),...
How can I choose between these?

svokke said:

I still have to choose some tubes. I want to use a 6SN7 in the preamp, but can't decide what to get for the power amp. It should be a tube with a good availability like EL84(6bq5), 6V6, SV83, ECL82 (6BM8),...
How can I choose between these?

amongst your mentioned choices, .a 6sn7-6v6 or 6sn7-el34 stand recommended

the el34 will have more power but the midrange of the 6v6 is something special

G

Joined 2002
You could build a nice little push pull, triode strapped, 6v6 amp and get very nice sound at moderate levels if you bias them to run hot ( 90% of rated current ). At low signal levels the amp will be working in the "class A" region and you will hear the glory of class A triodes doing their thing. here is a link to a PP 6BQ5 PP amp that was originally designed my Magnavox engineers ,when magnavox was known for solid design and solid performance, and tweaked into a excellent design by Gabe V, one of the regulars on this forum.

http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/pptube.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.