• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SS power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aarrgh :headbash:

i feel much better now.

anyways, .. while wiring up a 12b4a preamp (seem to be a lot folks working on that these days), .. i just realized that my power tranny was spec'd at 250-0-250, .. instead of 250 across both the secondary windings as indicated on the transformer wiring diagram.

i plan to use a SS rectification scheme with a damper diode at the end of the CLC filter to give me slow start (BTW, .. do damper diodes cause much tube sag??).

this wouldn't be a problem if i used 2 SS diodes in a full wave rectifier as in http://members.tripod.com/~gabevee/mypwrsup.html (section = "a solid brute" ) , .but i, in all my innocent wisdom, already wired up the power supply using a SS diode bridge (4 diodes).

i can always rebuild the PS, but before i do, .. is there any reasonable way to get 250V usng the bridge supply?

also, from the link, are the resistors really necessary in practice and if so, what should they be valued at ?

of course, i could just use a tube rectifier, such as a 12ax4, .. but that wouldn't be any fun, ..would it?

thanks

ShiFtY said:
Just rewire it as a fullwave rectifier. Will take you all of 5 minutes.

unfortunately, .. this is a integrated bridge rated at 1000PIV , .. so i can't (or don't know how to rewire it as you say

no biggie, .. i can always buy a couple of diodes and build a fullwave rectifier, .. but that will have to wait for the weekend

BTW, .. can anyone comment on the value (ohm / wattage) of series resistance to use, as per the link i mentioned. my operating parameters are 50mA draw at 250V . perhaps a pair of 100 ohm resistors??

as for the caps across the diodes, .. a pair of cheap micas should do it, i would think

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.