• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE design using 10k OPTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a pair of 10K OPTs with 4 and 8 ohm secondaries. I also have a pair of 6l6GCs, with a mess of preamp tubes around. My question is, how can I put these OPTs to use? I think maybe I can run the 6l6s in triode w/ like 350 B+ and get a few watts while staying under their 30w dissapation. Data sheet says in pentode mode I should expect 10-15% distortion with a 4k load. That seems like alot. Will a greater load increase or decrease distortion. Maybe some NFB, but how much? Good idea?

It seems like most designs call for a 5k load or less. Is their some other tube that is happy driving a 10k load? I think maybe I should just build it and find out... What do y'all think?

Wow, this post has an abundance of question marks dosen't it...

-Jared

Consider taking a page out of the DECWARE SE84's book. Triode strapping the 6L6s with 100 Ohm resistors will be FINE. You will end up with about 5 BALLSY W. Distortion will be LOW and the damping factor will be HIGH for a SET amp.

A pair of true mid 90s efficient 4 Ohm speakers connected to the 8 Ohm taps might give you a pleasant surprise. 2 Ohm Parker 95s/98s connected to the 4 Ohm taps could be excellent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.