Oil in Paper in oil capacitor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dehydrated and non oxidizing oil would be a very secure guess. Most of the oil producers refine a straight cut hydrocarbon-based oil specifically for electrical switchgear that meet this requirement.

Some ancient electronics had either vegetable or animal based insulating oils. Highly unlikely that anyone would be processing anything other than petroleum oils due to economy of scale.

The animal / vegatable oils tend to have a shorter life under adverse conditions than the equivalent petroleum product.

cyclotronguy

I meant that they had to get the water out of the oil prior to pouring it into the cap....once its in the cap and the cap is sealed, the problem should be minimized, but not eliminated.

Hermetical sealing is an ideal theoretical situation that rarely exists in real life. For some reason "near hermetical sealing" is called hermetical, but it sure isnt. Mostly there is plastic involved in the seal, and that cant be hermetical.....but this is naturally nitpicking of the definition.

Magura:)

fdegrove said:

ASC, American Shizuki Company uses vegetal oil in their range of PIO caps.
Does anyone have any idea what exactly?

Cheers,;)

Ouhhh! Smack kiss! Fetteccine, olive oil molte buono!!! ;)

Being that the ASC US factory is in Nebraska I would say corn oil is highly likely.
On your advice, I have bought quite a few of them bad boys but I haven't used them yet. I plan to use the oil to fry some sole fillets when the caps are spent!
Drying oil and keeping it dry is a very easy process.

serengetiplains said:
Speaking of oxidation and capacitors, has anyone read this:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/capacitor.html

Yike! :eek:

Various forms of oil, paper and wax actually have lower dielectric constants than a favourite of mine, teflon:

http://www.ktekcorp.com/default.asp?page=13

Dielectric constant seems to correlate, in the round, with distortion: lower DC, for instance, = lower dielectric absorption etc. No wonder certain paper in oil capacitors sound so good.

The best dielectri is vacuum. Jennings are my favorite vacuum caps although their quality control has been fading in recent years. On the minus they are not large enough for audio freq use and they cost a thousands of dollars.

Various forms of oil, paper and wax actually have lower dielectric constants than a favourite of mine, teflon:

So does polypropylene, a dielectric that's inferior in most properties to Teflon. But the correlation you draw is a pretty rough one; don't use it as a universal figure-of-merit. The various oils have dielectric constants about the same or higher than Teflon anyway. Note "transformer oil" in the listing.

Shell Oil apparently :)

"Shell DIALA Oil AX 68745."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11772&item=2520893163

of course this oil could be for anything, but at least we have a tinsy bit more information that /could/ be of use...

Apparently a reference towards "DIALA Oil AX"...

Product Description
Shell DIALA® Oils A & AX meet standard specifications required by both ANSI/ASTM D 3487 and
NEMA TR-P8-1975 for domestic electrical oil applications. These products have high electrical resistance
and are thermally and oxidatively stable.
Two oils, designated Type I and Type II, are covered in these specifications. Type I oil is intended for use
where normal oxidation resistance is required. Type II oil is for more severe service applications requiring
greater oxidation resistance.
Applications
• intended for use in transformers, circuit breakers, oil-filled switches and in X-ray equipment
Features and Benefits
• proven product reliability
• manufactured under stringent quality control procedures
• excellent physical, chemical, and electrical properties
• two domestic refinery sources (Texas and California)

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/DialaA&AX.pdf

I have read a bit further and it seems Diala oils are used for an insulation medium and heat transfer fluid, not a dielectric...but as an insulation medium between plates, preventing arc..

PCB's Oil in Caps

FYI
BE CAREFULL WITH VINTAGE PAPER IN OIL CAPS!
Most of vintage paper in oil capacitors contain polychlorinated biphenyls - very popular synthetic oil with higher dielectric
constant than conventional mineral oil. By the 1950's, it was difficult to find an oil capacitor that did not contain PCB's. PCB's are extremely dangerous for health due to it can cause a cancer.
Hereunder a several brand/manufacturers of PCB's contained caps: Arochlor (Monsanto), Chlorinol (Sprague), Diachlor (Sangamo), Dykanol (Cornell Dubilier), Hyvol (Aerovox), Inerteen
(Westinghouse), and Pyranol (General Electric).
DO NOT OPEN the capacitor' can of above brands!
http://www.ec.gc.ca/pcb/pcb06/eng/chap3_e.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.