Half a bee Philosophically. . . Er sorry Its actually about ECC83 amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2004, 06:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Half a bee Philosophically. . . Er sorry Its actually about ECC83 amps

OK! I'm making my own guitar amp, Using ECC83 Valves in the Pre-amp and a TDA7294V Power amp chip (100w 8 ohms.) I've been using marshall JTM45 and 1959 Schematics from http://www.marshallschematics.com so I know basically how to make a simple 2 channel pre-amp with gain. . . Well. . . Distortion. . . Or something. . . 3 band EQ, volume, etc on each channel. Basically, I found out that the ratings for the ECC83 heaters are 6.3v or 12.6v. Well, What i want to know is if I actually HAVE to feed 300v into the amp or whether I can run it as a lower voltage pre-amp. I'm not looking to beat the JCM800, Just make a decent sounding 100watt hybrid head. And dont tell me what I want to do is stupid, or to use all valve, or a diiferent chip, I know what I want to do ok? So just leave that lot alone ok
Old 12th May 2004, 07:52 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you will need 300V, or so, for the HT. Bear in mind, though, that you don't need much current for ECC83, so it's not a major issue to duplicate the entire pre-amplifier from a classic guitar amplifer, and feed that to your chip.

Hide this!Advertise here!