• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best PP transformer for 2A3 amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Primary impedance 5k?

That's pretty much the norm for a PP 2A3, 2K5 SE, 5K PP.

I use 6K6 which is a little high but it allows me to use only local feedback at the expense of less output power.

The result is a fast 2A3 PP amp with relatively low distortion and extended frequency response.
I quite like it that way...

(Thus here appears to be no rule of thumb).

There should be one...:D

Cheers,;)

Hallo Eli,

Thanks for the tip...I noticed they were on sale at Triode Electronics.

Sale price: $119.00 ....very tempting. That would have to be the 4300ohms jobby. Since the 6600 one is to be discontinued.

However transport for these babies is runs pretty high.

I might just ask AE-Europe or another winder/friend I have to wind me some nice c-core 5k pp's :)

Regards,
Bas

PS...How do you rate the MQ Dyna stuff?

PS...How do you rate the MQ Dyna stuff?

The OEM O/P "iron" in a ST-70 is DECENT. "Mikey" uses improved materials and builds to the original blueprints. You figure it out. :)

Transatlantic shipping costs are definitely a PITA. A possible plus to the MQ "iron" is the ability to build a "2 for 1 special" amp. Uncle Ned at TE has a way to set up an amp so that both Sovtek 6B4Gs and EL34s work, simply by changing the tubes in the unit. Being able to change from PP DHTs to PP UL IDH pentodes, when the mood strikes, could be fun.

Hum levels using the 6B4G with AC heating are less of an issue in a PP circuit than they are in a SE circuit, due to cancellation in the O/P trafo. If you build with dedicated floating windings for each 6B4G filament and use individual hum balance pots, the residual hum level should be pretty low.

Uncle Ned at TE has a way to set up an amp so that both Sovtek 6B4Gs and EL34s work, simply by changing the tubes in the unit. Being able to change from PP DHTs to PP UL IDH pentodes, when the mood strikes, could be fun.

I've done this and it works pretty good. Since the pinouts overlap correctly you can just plug and play mostly. Separate cathode bias (one for el34, one for 6b4g) is the easiest to use, but you can do fixed bias if it is adjustable over the proper range. 25W plate dissipation doesn't seem to be a problem for the sovteks either.

Hum levels using the 6B4G with AC heating are less of an issue in a PP circuit than they are in a SE circuit, due to cancellation in the O/P trafo. If you build with dedicated floating windings for each 6B4G filament and use individual hum balance pots, the residual hum level should be pretty low.

Thats the best bet. I am using a shared winding for each pair w/ one balance pot per pair w/ wiper going to a bypassed Rk (hybrid bias). This makes zeroing the hum a bit more difficult because the null point is not identical for each tube. I adjust 4 fixed bias pots and 2 hum pots in a tedious attempt to balance idle current and minimize hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.